Author Topic: Leather Interior  (Read 4612 times)

Mpgeslak

• Senior
  • USA, GA, Greensboro
Leather Interior
« on: April 14, 2020, 21:32:38 »
I am looking into Interior Suppliers in Europe and have read the forums for recommended suppliers. 

One of the names that comes up frequently is KMH/Cabrio.  Three questions:
1.  Does anyone have any experience with the quality of their products?
2.  Does anyone know the correct code for the Parchment color?  According to the website Parchment is their code 35, and I have received a sample but it looks too dark.
3.  Any other recommendations on a supplier?

Any help would be appreciated!
1967 250SL

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
Re: Leather Interior
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 21:58:25 »
I cannot help with your search, however, for your data file:  MY car's interior is what is called "Light Antique Yellow leather" and the coding I have is 1065

JB
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 22:04:14 »
I have used KHM twice for interiors on my Pagoda’s, both current and past.  I also visited their factory.  They are very professional and are the providers of interiors to a lot of the other on-sellers.

I can recommend them
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Aaron h

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 22:19:53 »
I don't know why, but most places that sell Mercedes leather never refer to it by the correct color code or interior trim code. 

For the 230SL and 250SL, the following leather colors were available:

201 Black
202 Dark Red
203 Medium Red
204 Bright Red
205 Light Blue
206 Medium Blue
207 Bright Gray
209 Creme`
210 Natural
211 Dark Green
212 Reseda Green
213 Bright Antique Yellow
214 Rust Red
216 Cognac
217 Turquoise
218 Bronze Brown
219 Bright Natural
220 Dark Blue
221 White Gray
222 Wine Red
223 Medium Gray
224 Bright Olive Green
230 Eggshell
231 Anthracite Gray
232 Brown

The numbers that precede the color name are the interior trim codes.   The leather itself had its own color code.  So always remember that interior trim codes are NOT the same as the color code for the leather. 

As you can see int he picture below, parchment wasn't an available color on the early cars.  The equivalent for the early cars would be Creme` or Light Natural.  If you want to know what your car had when new you'll have to look at your data card.  If you don't have the data card you can procure one from Mercedes Classic. 

You mentioned that the sample you received was too dark.  Bear in mind that 50+ year old leather will have faded very dramatically.  Original Roser leather will lighten and darken whether it's exposed to sunlight or not, so using what's in your car now for reference is somewhat risky in regard to originality. 

For suppliers, Cabrio does offer "kits". However, they usually sell the inexpensive vat dyed leather that looks rather unattractive.  If you want good leather you'll need to purchase from Steenbuck, Aeristo, or HYDES.  All of those place will color match the leather your car came with if the color code is known.  In particular, HYDES, who works with Hans-Reinke, base their colors off of the archives at the Classic Center.  They offer true, honest representations of the original colors.

Aaron h

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 22:24:49 »
Here is Creme` up against Parchment.  The lighter one is Creme from Aeristo, and the top one is Parchment from Hans-Reinke.  So you're correct to some extent in saying that Parchment is too dark.

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 23:27:26 »
This has proven to be a very interesting thread to me, while not that all helpful to Mpgeslak

I noted my leather is Lt antique yellow leather.  I see Aaron H notes from some Literature that it is called Bright Antique Yellow Leather.

I noted a code of 1065 which was as it was referred to me in a MB Stuttgart Letter
 dated Aug 25, 94 "Seats, arm rests, door and dashboard-cushion lining was leather light yellow antique 1065"

MBCA W113 Group Newsletter #2, dated 1993 Published by Jim Luikens notes 230SL/250SL "Color Combinations for Cars Equipped with Leather Upholstery":  Under Code Number 213 is lt. yellow antique 1065

My Data Card Box 17 Ausstattung (Upholstery) notes 213 summary code

My Zertificat  dated 18.03.2003 notes it as Interior Appointments DB 213

So, I am not clear the differences between 1065 usage and the 213 usage.

I can say, though that the color is very striking and impressive when it was used with the DB571 exterior.

jb
BTW it's a old picture before the shift knob was corrected to white

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:04:11 by SADIE »

Aaron h

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 02:07:44 »
SADIE, the difference between the "1065" and "213" is this:

213 is the interior trim code that tells us the overall color, mostly for the leather or MB-Tex, but also steers us to know what color the carpet should be, what color the entrance rail sill mats and scuff heel pads should be, what color the headliner, grip handles, seat belts, and sun visors are, as well as what wood species was used (on other models). 

Each individual component of an interior has it's own color code.  For example, regarding interior trim code 213, the Antique Yellow leather is color code 1065, the carpet your car came with, which was called Mottled Creme`, has a color code of 6434,  the entrance rail sill mats were 6442 mottled sand, your head liner (for the hard top) and sun visors are D 12 Creme`, ect. 

Back when parts like the above were still available from Mercedes the parts personnel were required to put a color code at the end of the part number.  All Pagodas shared many of the same parts, but some were in different colors.  Hence, the need for the color codes mentioned above.

In essence, think of it this way.......imagine you're writing a research paper, thesis, or dissertation.  One of the first orders of operation would be to make an outline of what we want to write about.  An outline lists the main topic of each paragraph, and each paragraph can have any number of points to touch on, which would be subscripts on your outline.  Likewise, Mercedes more or less did the same thing.  The interior trim code is the "main topic" of the paragraph, while all of the different color codes for the various parts are "subscripts" of the "main topic". 

Much like with writing a paper, there is an art to understanding how it flows, is put together, and how it presents itself when it all converges......but when we understand the how and why of the convergences it's all a beautiful thing to behold.....because we understand it, and not much changes in it's structure.  Why didn't Mercedes use one code number for all parts of a certain color?  If I had to guess it was because they often paired different colors together for an interior, and R&D needed actual codes to refer to instead of colors.....that's just how some people's mind works. 

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 07:19:24 »
Hi,

The MB color code for parchment/pergament is 8014.
See the original MB 8014 parchment leather interior in my W111 280 SE.

Hans K
Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

Mpgeslak

• Senior
  • USA, GA, Greensboro
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 13:21:39 »
Thanks for all the responses, a lot of information to get my head around.

Aaron, thanks for the information on different qualities of leather.  I have a question:  is the quality of an Aeristo or Hydes due to the dyeing process, or is it that they start with higher quality leather?  All of these leathers have color added to them and thus if they don’t vat dye them what process do they use to add the color?

Thanks
1967 250SL

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 13:24:30 »
Thank you Aaron for your clear and detailed explanation.  Appreciated. 

If it is of help to anyone, I am attaching the Color Matrix Chart that appeared in the MBCA W113 Newsletter#2 in 1993

JB

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 15:00:44 »
Be advised that KHM offer different grades of leather and there's a price differential of up to 40%.
I've always been very happy with their kits.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 01:02:30 »
Rameson,

You are replying to a 3 year old thread.  I would assume their issue is resolved by now.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 11:22:49 »
He is a link spammer. Has been reported to Stop Forum Spam, and account and posts deleted
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!