Author Topic: Won't Turnover?  (Read 1317 times)

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Won't Turnover?
« on: December 24, 2023, 17:44:26 »
Hi,
So.. quick background.  Bought car 20 years ago.  Very little driving but sat the last couple years.  Went to start it and it just clicks.  I was getting power.  Tried a couple different things, nothing.  Figured Starter bad.  Was about to get it towed to the shop and it started.  All good.  Took it in the shop.  They did lots of work to get it all running and safe.  Drove it all Summer.  End of summer started the restoration.  Took everything out of the dash.  Clean and fixed it all and tested before going back in the car.  Kind of mishandled the Oil Pressure line and read that is very sensitive so I wanted to test before I put everyone back in.  So I put the Tach / Instrument / and Speedo in.  Attached the battery, light came on (All the new bulbs, phew!). But went to  start and "Click" Again.  Is there something I am missing?  Does something else need to be connected?  Any thoughts would be great.  I was really looking forward to hearing the engine yesterday!  But maybe it will just have to be a Christmas Eve Miracle.
(Battery is fully charge and also connected to a battery starter for a little extra boost the first time)
Thanks
Aaron
Happy Holidays!
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Re: Won't Turnover?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 19:12:23 »
Since you had the same issue before you took apart your dash, I don't think that is the issue.  First make sure all your connections are clean and tight at the battery and the starter.  Also make sure your ignition switch is wired correctly if you fiddled with that when you were working on your dash.  I had a friend who was having starting issues with his car and thought for sure it was either the battery or the alternator.  Turned out it was just one of the battery connections had come loose. 

If that is all good try giving your starter a good whack with a mallet or broom handle or something along that line.  Has to be a good whack.  Also move your car forward and back.  I suspect it is your starter.  The problem will be intermittent if the starter is on its way out.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 19:13:09 »
How old is the starter?  A few years ago I had a similar problem with my starter.  I think it was the original one from the factory.  It would click on the day it failed completely.  It also killed a new battery at the same time. The battery was under warranty so I got a free replacement but I replaced it with a starter from the MB Classic center.  It has been fine since.  Also was a 1966 230SL.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL (Sold)
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

Peter h

• Silver
  • Germany, Rheinland-Pfalz, Enkirch
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 19:39:50 »
I also think the starter isn't getting enough voltage.
I solved the problem with a new battery.
Peter
08.68 280sl automatic white 717 G  blue MB Tex
09.68 280sl  4-speed, now 5-speed Getrag 180 G dark green MB Tex

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 22:16:24 »
ok cool I will give all those a try!  Yes it is the original starter from '66.
Aaron

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2023, 23:37:13 »
Could also be the ignition switch itself. You can check if it's the starter by temporarily running a wire directly from the + battery pole, and touch the starter solenoid terminal with the other end. If the starter spins, but it won't when you turn the ignition key, then the problem must be in the wiring/switch someplace.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2023, 01:02:27 »
Ok I am going to post this just to keep me honest!  Have obviously have the are in pieces... Not even a seat in it right now so I think that is why I missed this.  I was laying in bed wondering what the hell I did when I remembered of course the car needs to be in PARK!  I have it in 2 to get it out of the way when doing something.
Popped it in Park and fired it up and it started right way!  All the gages came up and I even think my Oil Gage is all good too.  Christmas Miracle for a Christmas Moron!

Sorry to waste your guys time!
Happy Holidays
Aaron

su8pack1

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Barto
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2023, 14:20:04 »
I had a similar situation years ago that drove me nuts. I ended up putting a bypass starter button under the dash. Then one day I turned the ignition switch and it started. That worked for a few days then nothing and back to the button. I then started to take apart every wire connection and cleaned. The problem turned out to be the wire connection at the corner of the oil pan, bad ground and or connection. Took it apart and cleaned everything up, and no problems since.
1969 280SL
1984 300CD
1987 190E 2.6
1988 190D 2.5

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2023, 14:54:27 »
Ok I am going to post this just to keep me honest!  Have obviously have the are in pieces... Not even a seat in it right now so I think that is why I missed this.  I was laying in bed wondering what the hell I did when I remembered of course the car needs to be in PARK!  I have it in 2 to get it out of the way when doing something.
Popped it in Park and fired it up and it started right way!  All the gages came up and I even think my Oil Gage is all good too.

I thought of mentioning this possibility and now I feel bad for not having done so! At least you figured it out, so congrats on that.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II