Author Topic: Throttle intake water pipe  (Read 5311 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Throttle intake water pipe
« on: July 17, 2005, 06:08:03 »
Bad moment in the garage yesterday.  Literally putting the finishing touches on my engine when the engine stand fell over!  :(  It smashed the water pipe that clamps around the intake.  I'm thankful it didn't break the cast aluminum intake.  My brand new Sanden Compressor helped break the fall and suffered a smashed clutch.

So, I had toyed with the notion of using a K&N cone-shaped filter instead of the big canister. Now, given this, I'm trying to decide what effect bypassing the little water loop around the intake would have.  How does running hot water around the intake help?  I live in Florida.

By the way, I couldn't find this part in the BBB, what's the correct name if I order from my dealer?

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Throttle intake water pipe
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 06:35:02 »
Hello Raymond,
This water loop keeps the intake venturi from icing up during freezing weather. Not much use in Florida! Earliest cars did not have it at all. Some in between had a separate steel sheetmetal add on version. The final configuration was cast into the aluminum venturi. Sounds like yours was the middle version?

You can find one on the same era Mercedes 280SE sedan donor car if your lucky. Good luck!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

TR

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 09:14:05 »
This is an open question about the K&N cone-shaped air filter, which Ray mentions.  I have one of those, and even though I've driven the car very little since it was installed, it feels like a performance booster.

But since the K&N filter mounts right behind the grill, and is unshielded, what would happen if one gets caught in a heavy & prolonged rain...you know, a real frog choker?  Might water soak thru the filter and eventually get sucked in through the throttle body and on into injection system?

Since I've driven the car so little since the K&N was installed nothing like this has happened, but the possibility and the concern has been on my mind...

Ray, I winced when I read about your engine stand falling over.  I'm sure sorry that happened to you, but thank goodness there was not more damage.  If I can get passed my concern about this water thing, then I'd recommend the K&N filter you mention.  Since we still have our original air filter canisters we could easily return to original...I'm just looking for a little extra power.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 12:15:45 »
Ray,
My '68 280 has this later type ali housing:

Download Attachment: 280_1117.jpg
45.6 KB

Tom:
If some water gets sucked in the inlet tract as vapor, then you will have even more power - as in water injection - but if there is loads of liquid, I'm sure there would be consequences!!
naj
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 12:20:32 by naj »
68 280SL

TR

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 13:26:48 »
Naj -- Thanks for the comment.

Ray -- I sent an e-mail off to K&N tech support asking this question.  If they reply I'll let you know what they say.

Tom in Boise

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 21:50:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by TR

This is an open question about the K&N cone-shaped air filter, which Ray mentions.  I have one of those, and even though I've driven the car very little since it was installed, it feels like a performance booster.
I have read in other forums (and possibly this one?) that many people feel that the extra air that comes through the K&N (and other performace filters) is made possible by poor filtration.  Some apparently biased people liken it to running with no filter.  Of course, this is all hear-say internet chatter.  Who knows the truth?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 01:46:50 »
Tom,
When you use the K&N filter, what happens to the idling circuit air supply _ how is that filtered?
Do you have a picture of your installation?

Thanks
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 17:05:03 »
Naj, Good question about the metering air supply.  I'll have to look for a filter with a pipe on it.  I think K&N may make one for California emission purposes.  

Rodd, I have used K&N filters for several years on Rice burners.  I put 140,000 miles on an Acura and it wasn't showing signs of losing power or burning oil.  The important thing about them is to clean them regularly and keep them oiled up.  They filter just fine that way.  The mistake many people make is that they think "permanent" means "maintenance free".

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

TR

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 21:26:44 »
Naj, Ray -- Yes, the mechanics installed a separate, very small, K&N filter to handle the air supply at idle.  But the sound it made was obnoxious.  The car is still in their hands, so no photos yet.  I think they're coming up with some mod to handle this (both the filter function and that irritating noise at idle), but I don't yet have those details.

Tom in Boise