Author Topic: Fog Light Wiring  (Read 3253 times)

dwsfca

Fog Light Wiring
« on: July 20, 2005, 15:38:18 »
My 68-250 SL(#3070) has the US lights and they have the lower "fog lights" installed but appearently not wired for use in the USA.

Does any have a wiring diagram that would show how to connect these lights?  When I run a jumper to them they light up, just would like to make it happen thru the dash switch.

Thanks,
Dan

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Re: Fog Light Wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 15:44:23 »
Dan,
You probably have the lights wired already to the switch.
As per the owners manual: turn the switch to turn on the lights and then pull the toggle out to engage the foglights.
Walter

dwsfca

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 11:12:40 »
Walter,

I tried that but all I can get is parking lights either on one side or the other or both at the same time. Does the US model use a different switch?

Dan

quote:
Originally posted by waltklatt

Dan,
You probably have the lights wired already to the switch.
As per the owners manual: turn the switch to turn on the lights and then pull the toggle out to engage the foglights.
Walter

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 11:37:21 »
Dan,
You are turning the switch to the right and to the left, but try to pull it towards you when you sit in the car.  Should come out on click when the switch is turned to the right to turn on the running lights.  The lights that come on when you turn to the left are for parking lights when you park overnight on the street.
Walter

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 17:11:52 »
My '68 280SL #000176 is just like your 250.  The first several times I tried it it didn't work, then one evening, poof..magically they worked.  I suspected that the switch contacts had just corroded.  You might try blasting the switch with some Lectro clean and giving it a good work.  It seemed to work better for me to pull the switch out first and then turn it.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 17:12:31 by Raymond »
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Chad

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 21:07:34 »
I agree, the connect might be corroded. Mine has the fog lights enabled when you pull out on the light knob one small click. It is a little interesting I think that my W123 300TD diesel wagon fog lights only engage when pulling outward on the knob after you have turned the light switch two clicks CW to turn on the running/driving lights.  The 230SL fog lights can come on by pulling outward after only one click CW needed, without the running/driving lights also engaged.  This seems like the correct was for the lights to be wired. I wonder why MB wired those later diesels to only engage fog lights whenever the driving lights were also on? This seems like folly, or am I missing something?

-CD-
1967 230SL
1983 300TDT

A Dalton

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 23:53:46 »
<<two clicks CW to turn on the running/driving lights. >>

I don't what they were thinking, but the fogs would only come on with low beam.

Good question.