Author Topic: How do I put the soft top up  (Read 3556 times)

TerenceD

How do I put the soft top up
« on: July 25, 2005, 18:20:45 »
I just bought a 1970 280sl, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to put the softop up - can anybody give me instructions ?

Thanks,
Terence

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Re: How do I put the soft top up
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 18:44:08 »
Terence ..... Can you get the boot open?  What are you haveing trouble with?

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

TerenceD

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 19:07:16 »
I can get the boot open, and the top goes up, but the back part with the window will not pass the lip, or even come up a bit.  I know the roof works because I bought it with the roof up, and the guy I bought it from put it down.  From what I can understand you have to put the roof up, but not latch it at the front, and then fold up the rear window perpendicular to the ground, place back the boot lid, and then snap down the rear window of the softop.

There must be a trick to this, as I cannot figure out the mechanics of it.

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 19:20:23 »
Terence,

You have to secure the front two latches, lower the tonneau cover, THEN drop the rear window section into place. That should be the last thing you do.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 19:32:10 »
Terence - sounds like the frame is opening inside the "boot".  Try lifting the entire frame/top out of the boot as one closed unit, then lowering the boot lid..   secure the front latches and then lower the rear frame and lock it into place - you may have to gently "slam" the back frame down if your top is tight...

Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 19:35:24 by BHap »
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed

enochbell

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 19:39:15 »
Are you saying that you can not get the window section to clear the lip in the boot?  If that is the case, you need to return the entire top to it's folded position in the boot, then lift the top (the front bow) up about a foot and reach your hand in the boot to grab the back of the bottom (window) section.  Then lift them both together until the back section clears the lip.  Then call your chiropodists to staighten your own back from the contortion.  Hope this helps.

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

TerenceD

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 20:04:43 »
Thanks for the information everyone - I will try this tomorrow and get it working.  

Terence