Author Topic: The Led bulbs in the taillights breaks  (Read 711 times)

lagolag

• Senior
  • Sweden, Västra Götaland, Askim
The Led bulbs in the taillights breaks
« on: June 30, 2024, 10:44:59 »
My rear Led bulbs are breaking and it's the exact same type as my front.
I've noticed that the charge controller is charging up to 17V instead of the max 14.5V
and I imagine the high voltage is the cause but the strange thing is that the parking lights in the front lights are fine,
however, I always have the dipped beam on as we have a law on this in Sweden,
this could be the explanation that there are more consumers in the front lights that take power than in the rear lights, what do you think?

I use the bulb type in the picture, it gives a very good light and it's good because I don't want to be rear ended.

I have ordered a new charging relay so I hope this helps.

Read in an article that it is possible to adjust the distance on the metal plates inside the charging relay to lower the voltage to 14.5V, will try this when I get my new charging relay so that I am not stuck now this summer when it is the best time for our treasures.
Has anyone here in the group tried adjusting their charge controller?
230SL 1967 since July 2021
SL55 AMG 2003 since July 2008
Suzuki Cappuccino 1995 since May 2006, Sold

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: The Led bulbs in the taillights breaks
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 15:12:36 »
There is no scenario where the regulator should allow levels as high as 17 Volts.  That is likely going to damage any semiconductors, like your LED's, because they are certainly rated for less than 15V max.   Even if they don't fail immediately, even a short overvoltage event will shorten their life considerably.    It's quite possible series resistances and old wiring connections are reducing voltages in some circuits, so it's not surprising they all don't fail exactly the same time.   Either way I wouldn't recommend trying to modify the regulator when they are relatively inexpensive to replace with new.   You should probably also replace any LED lights that you think have experienced over-voltage events, or at least check them often and carry spares with you.   

Voltage stress is not a linear effect in semiconductors.    For example, aging of the light emitting PN junction could accelerate 10X or even much more for each single volt over the design rating, so a bulb run at <15V may last 1000's of hours,  16V may last 100's of hours, 17V may last a day or less, 18V might only last seconds.   I make my living stressing iphone semiconductors at elevated voltages to model their reliability and see this sort of thing every day.

All that said, I've had similar sorts of problems with some of these aftermarket regulators failing and allowing both over and under voltage events.   My latest solution was to upgrade my alternator to one with internal regulation.  I suspect the components used in the internal Bosch regulators are superior and actually designed for reliability.
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.

lagolag

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 08:29:33 »
Thanks Mark for confirming what I feared.
I'm not that well versed in modern electronics, mechanics are more my thing.
Yes, I have some spare bulbs in the glow box in case.
Looking forward to getting my new charging relay, however, it took me some time yesterday to adjust a bit on the existing relay and I got the voltage down (see picture), however, I have only tried it with the car in the garage, let's see if the weather allows for a ride today so you can get some driving data.

lagolag

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 13:00:59 »
The new Voltage regulator is now installed and the graphics below shows the improvement.
The first reduction is after I manually adjusted it and the last part is from the new replacement one.
And now there's no issues with the bulbs. :)