Author Topic: Bonnet/Hood hold open  (Read 328 times)

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Bonnet/Hood hold open
« on: June 30, 2024, 19:41:18 »
Hello all, i'm always wary about leaving the bonnet open unattended, a gust of wind may blow it closed, with possible damage.  Today i had the bonnet open, not particularly windy, and sure enough, the bonnet started to fall, luckily enough i didn't have my head under it at the time, and i managed to stop it slamming shut

My question is, can adjusting the grooved "holder" forward, or backwards, fix it more securely, or can these holders wear beyond the point where they'll no longer hold the bonnet securely?  I've always just pulled the bonnet to close it, is it designed, so you should push it open slightly more, before you can pull it closed?  Seems like a bit of a dodgy design, if a gust of wind could potentially decapitate you!
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
Re: Bonnet/Hood hold open
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 20:54:51 »
Yes they can be adjusted and yes they can wear out.  Replacements are available for around US$20

Mine requires considerable effort to close
Lori
1968 280SL (US)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 21:43:36 »
I would throw in a small word of caution. Don't get the hood really tight, closing it when there is a lot of pressure required, can cause some issues with the bolted connection at the front of the hood. My good friend had this issue, and had to have a body shop repair it.

I usually will give a little pull on the rod that runs right along the inner front fender to take pressure off the hood connection.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2024, 13:22:33 »
Good advise. Being the the bonnet is aluminum, you can also dent it with force of your hands.  I pull a little forward then let the bonnet go down by it self, no pushing required. Now for the wind blowing it down my suggestion is to buy a towel at the lock so it it comes down it will not slam. Also make sure that you strap is tight when bonnet is up to assure that if wind catches it from underneath, it will not blow and cause damage to paint at bonnets edge.
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2024, 13:33:25 »
Today i had the bonnet open, not particularly windy, and sure enough, the bonnet started to fall, luckily enough i didn't have my head under it at the time, and i managed to stop it slamming shut

I think the head is not so important - aluminum only. Catastrophe is when the bonnet shuts closed with wipers raised from the windhsield...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2024, 15:12:19 »
Thanks everyone, Pawel, i'm quite attached to my head, i've had it a long time, although if i had to have a new one, i guess i could ask for a George Clooney lookalike

I'll adjust the "holder" slightly, the bonnet really does close too easily, only takes the slightest draught
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2024, 15:39:31 »
Bob, you may want to take a look - last time I had "lose holder" it was because the bolts holding bonnet hinges to the bonnet were lose on one side. I tightened them and the holder started holding stronger, like it did before.

I should have added: the threads in the bonnet are easy to destroy, which results in necessity to remove the bonnet and, e.g. install bear coils, one needs to be careful if checking if these bolts are tght.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 15:02:22 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class