Author Topic: Windshi\lled Wipers On/Off  (Read 537 times)

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Windshi\lled Wipers On/Off
« on: August 06, 2024, 01:18:16 »
Hello all,

1966 230SL

My windshield wiper switch on the turn signal signal stalk has always been hit and miss.  I never really was concerned because in the 12 years or so that I have had the car, I have only been caught in the rain a couple of times.  One of those, however, was last week.  I was able to turn the wipers on but couldn't turn them off.  I ended up simply unplugging the connection at the wiper motor.

Now I am resolved to rebuild (if possible) the turn signal assembly/stalk - not withstanding what might be broken.  My question is how is the turn signal/wiper switch assembly removed from the steering column, particularly where the stalk arm extends through the boot at the steering column?

Apologies for asking but I still find that the search function of our website is a bit challenging.  It always returns lots of "hits" but sorting through all of those is time consuming.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Re: Windshi\lled Wipers On/Off
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2024, 03:11:04 »
You have to squeeze the boot over the indicator arm. With the boot removed from column, you see the bolts that mount the indicator housing. You will have to feed the wire strand through the column. Even though I have seen guys that claim you can do this without disassembling the multi pin connector, I disassembled the connector as well. After that you can just pull it out. (You may need a new boot).
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Re: Windshi\lled Wipers On/Off
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2024, 11:35:10 »
Excellent.  Thanks Dirk.