Author Topic: Teves ATE Caliper question  (Read 466 times)

BUKTLST

• Junior Level
  • USA, GA, Milton
Teves ATE Caliper question
« on: September 03, 2024, 17:08:28 »
Hello,
I am a newbie here.  I recently acquired a 1967 230SL from my older brother.  I noticed the left side brake caliper is sticking and causing the pads to stay engaged.  I got the caliper off and was able to get one of the pistons out.  The piston on the brake line side was rusted hard in place.  I took the caliper halves apart and used penetrating oil to loosen the seized piston.  I have both pistons out and have ordered a new seal kit to refurb the caliper.  I have now read that is it not recommended to split the halves because of "manufacturers torque application".  Does anyone know what the torque pattern and torque requirement is for the four bolts that hold the halves together?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bill S.

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: Teves ATE Caliper question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2024, 17:23:13 »
Hi,
Since there is a recommendation not to take the brake calliper apart, it will be difficult to get the correct torque data, for example from table books. I suspect that the manufacturers do not comment on this either.
As a guideline, you can use the torque of the screws used, i.e. for M9x1 or 1.25 screws, the outer ones are tightened to 50 Nm and the inner ones to 60 Nm, screw quality 11.9 (same values as mentioned in a repair kit). I have also "heard" the value of 80 Nm maximum. New screws are recommended.
...WRe
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 17:27:54 by WRe »

BUKTLST

• Junior Level
  • USA, GA, Milton
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 17:25:04 »
Thank you!!  Next time I will RTFM first. 

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2024, 11:48:33 »
Thank you!!  Next time I will RTFM first.

Welcome, Bill!

If you check with your local auto parts, stores, including any that specialize in foreign auto parts, You may find that they offer rebuild services or exchange or advance exchange on assemblies, such as the brake calipers. I did this to mine during the restoration admittedly many years ago now in Michigan. I also recommended the same procedure to another one of our members here and he did the same thing in North Carolina with great success and reasonable pricing.

There’s no shortage of things to get your hands dirty on with your Pagoda. So items like the brake calipers, the alternator, the starter, and other sub assemblies are simply not worth taking apart. In my opinion, leave it to the professionals. you’ll find plenty to do without these things!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid