Author Topic: Car wont start! - the battery is not dead, but it won't turn over.  (Read 732 times)

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
Hi all,

Sorry for this question but hope someone knows the issue - I looked at the starter motor section in the Technical manual but couldn't find much.

A few weeks ago when I went to start the car it would not turn over. I know that dependant on 230 model there werre a variety of different starter solenoids/sensors and my car is a late '66. That said I don't think being that the ambient temp is summertime warm that manyu of those issues would usually come up.

Initially it was just a question of being patient. Upon turning the ignition (being an early car there is not a position 1 before turning to 2 and turning over the engine, the red square light turns on on the center cluster (battery is fine - glove box light etc all work and the battery less than a year old.) After a couple of tries it would whirr  then whirr more when tried again and then finally the engine would turn over and fire.

It was not that the engine was cranking and not firing, only that it would just make a click sound once or twice and then on the 3rd or 4th time after clicking, it would then actually turn over and start in one if that makes sense.

I contacted Wolfgang at the local Bosch center here in NYC who has been recommended by people here in the past and he is going to look at the car but did not have space until after Labor day. As the car was still starting I agreed this would be okay.

Now it does not start at all. The red light still goes on on the dash but then nothing. My guess is this is the starter motor and some how the electromagnet maybe is not doing its thing but has anyone had a similar experience?

I can see that a reconditioned Bosch strater for the car is only $100-150 so could replace it but am loathe to do so without knowing more.
I could call State Farm roadside assistance but not sure if this is a simple fix or something they would only want to tow the vehicle to a garage for so have been reticent to since the car is safe and sound in the underground car park here.

Any thoughts or advice greatfully received!
Thanks,
Rich

1966 Mercedes 230SL (Euro model)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Car wont start! - the battery is not dead, but it won't turn over.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2024, 17:31:30 »
Is your car Auto?
If so then maybe your inhibitor switch is the problem.
Try moving the gear selector whilst trying to start the engine.
Check that the cable to the inhibitor switch isn't broken.

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2024, 17:50:47 »
Thanks Stick,

Sorry for not clarifying that - its a 4 speed manual. I tried starting out of gear and in gear though.
Thanks,
Rich

1966 Mercedes 230SL (Euro model)

wsamples

• Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2024, 19:41:33 »
With no start or intermittent start but lights (headlights, dash lights, etc.) are illuminated I'd go first to the battery cables and terminals on the battery. Remove and clean them so they are making full physical and electrical contact. Check negative battery cable that bolts to the frame for no rust and is tight. This is to ensure you are getting full power from battery to the starter.

If problem persists I would install rebuilt Bosch starter. It sounded like the starter was not working properly. Two things are going on inside the starter at the same time: the starter has to act like a motor and spin and the starter gear has to fling out and engage the teeth on the ring gear attached to the crankshaft. Whirring could be the starter motor spinning but the gear not engaging. Clicking can be the gear flinging out but the starter not acting like a motor. No noise at all could be anything from battery to the starter itself not working.

We just finished rebuilding a 230SL engine and on the test stand the new Bosch reman starter was defective. Stuff happens. It is rare. I will still use Bosch reman parts. I would also suggest not starting car in gear with clutch pedal depressed. It puts an extra load on the starter and throw out bearing. Also, sounds dicey to start car in gear anyway. Hope this helps.
1965 230SL
1970 280SL Automatic
1971 280SL 4 spd w/limited slip dif

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2024, 21:30:51 »
Rich,

IANAM (I Am Not A Mechanic), but I believe that it's also a good idea after removing the starter to try to spin the ring gear and look for missing teeth (what the starter motor "flings" itself into).  Missing teeth can cause the starter motor to spin but not engage the engine. 

-David
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2024, 03:47:17 »
And also try hitting the starter with a hammer or something else heavy. This can get the starter going temporarily if it's on its way out, which it sounds like it is. If it then works, you have found your issue.
If you do end up getting a new starter, get the higher-HP one - lots of info here on the Bosch type #.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II