Author Topic: Front Upper Control Arm Rubber Buffers - A1123330165  (Read 2717 times)

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
Front Upper Control Arm Rubber Buffers - A1123330165
« on: November 06, 2022, 15:23:45 »
I am in need of a little help or advice. After finding some rubber remains under the car, I discovered if was from one of the Front upper Control Arm Rubber Buffer.
It looks very much like they are all shot and one missing altogether. I have ordered 4 new rubber buffers. The question is what is the process of fitting them?
is it something I can tackle at home, or should I just leave it to the garage to sort out. I would really apricate any pointers anyone could give.
Many thanks
DM

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
Re: Front Upper Control Arm Rubber Buffers - A1123330165
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 18:03:41 »
Anyone ? No one knows a way of fitting these, without taking everything apart ?

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 22:42:28 »
hi
if you do not get a response from the members here you may need to e mail Gernold at SL tech or the folks at motoring investments
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

getsmart

• Silver
  • Australia, Victoria, Dromana
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 00:08:29 »
I forgot to put mine back when I rebuilt my front end. I'll take a look today or tomorrow and let you know how I go with photos. I think it can be done from memory.....

Rgds, joe
Finding the red car
1964 230sl Restoration Project

getsmart

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 06:37:33 »
I don't have my motor in at the moment so I don't have any clearance at the moment to get to them (my car is sitting high thus my top wishbone is too close to the front member). But if that photo is yours it looks like you have clearance so you should be able to get them in yourself. Rubber lube can help if you can't get them in with a little plastic lever to help push them in. If you use rubber lube ensure it is meant for rubber. Be careful if you using a screwdriver that you don't push a hole through the mounting rubber points. Try getting the blind side in first....

Rgds, joe

PS. Another general trick to get grommetts in is to wrap a length of string around the grommett and pull it tight so that the grommett collapses a bit, whilst pulling the string tight push the rubber buffer in or tap it with a small mallet or hammer
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 08:09:18 by getsmart »
Finding the red car

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 08:10:45 »
Thanks for the reply Joe. The picture is not of my car it is just an example. The rubbers in my car appear to be shot, I think 2 have completely disappeared. Having said that I have not
noticed any unusual noises or clunks coming from the front end. I guess this is not urgent that i get the new ones in. I was just hoping there may be a simple way to obtain enough
clearance to get them in without taking things apart. The car goes in to the garage today to replace the rear wheel bearings. I guess i will get them to fit the rubbers. I just hope they
don't have to charge me for taking the supension apart. Wanted a little knowledge before i go.
best regards
DM

getsmart

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 08:28:39 »
would be touch and go whether they can be get at without seperating the wishbone but theoretically there is enough movement (as is shown in that photo) to get to them if the suspension can be compressed enough  - perhaps jack each side up at a time and blocks under the wheel and then get someone to sit on the fender might do it.....I might go try it now  ;) problem with mine is its all new so the suspension is pretty stiff...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 08:50:32 by getsmart »
Finding the red car

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 08:37:30 »
Thanks Joe. Not a straight forward job for me then.  Not keen on anyone sitting on the fenders... I think i'll leave them to the garage to sort. What would be the effect if the rubbers not
being there ?

getsmart

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 08:46:45 »
I just went out and tried it, put some blocks (about 20cm) under one tyre, but only gave me an extra cm but having the motor in would make a big difference. As would a 85kg person sitting on the fender  ;D

But all in all I can't be sure so if they can do it for you get them to try (without pulling the wishbone apart).

The affect not having them would be a possible metal on metal bash perhaps when hitting a pothole (on the freefall down). Mercedes do things for a good reason usually. If you have sagging springs or worn shockers it may never travel that high too...
Finding the red car

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2024, 00:54:28 »
Did you get the buffers put in?  I'm trying to get them in my 1961 220Sb.  I got the front one in the driver's side after an hour + of fiddling around.  I put some dish wash soap on it and had to place it and look with a mirror and a light to line it up.  Then I lifted the car a little with my shoulder until it was held in place.  I took a look with the mirror and light again and it was still right over the hole.  I then lifted the car with the jack enough to load it and pop it in.  This took over an hour.

The ones in the back side don't look like this will work as easy since I can't fit under the car behind the wheel.  Any other suggestions would help...
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL (Sold)
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic