Author Topic: Ignition Set Up  (Read 476 times)

colin evans

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Ferndown
Ignition Set Up
« on: September 06, 2024, 17:06:27 »
Hi all
I recently changed the head gasket on my 1971 280 SL (UK) with much helpful advice from this forum. During the process the ignition timing was altered (don’t ask!) and now I need to get things correctly set up. I have had a good read through the technical manuals but some of it is too technical for me, so I just wanted to check a few things please.

I have new points and a new condenser, what should the points be set to? I have a dwell meter, is this the most accurate way to set the gap and if so what should the dwell be, I have read 30 to 35 degrees?

On to the timing, should it be set when the engine is warm? Should the vacuum pipe be connected or not? And what is the correct setting please. I read a post in the technical manual that said “set to 10 deg BTDC without vacuum; this should result in a setting of 8 deg ATDC at 800 RPM with vacuum. Rev engine to 3000 rpm (with vacuum) and adjust to 30 deg. BTDC”. Is this correct for a UK car?

My engine number is 130 016 14 01 and my distributor is a Bosch 0231 116 051

Many thanks in advance.

Colin

colin evans

• Junior Level
Re: Ignition Set Up
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2024, 17:29:44 »
Sorry, engine number is 130-983 20-008021

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Silver
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2024, 14:12:24 »
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Distributor#SL280

Yes setting the dwell is the way to set the proper gap for your distributor (this will account for wear and tear)

Based on the info in the tech manual above, your car should have an 062 or 067 distributor which is aluminum but you have indicated that yours is 051 which is cast iron.  The dwell should be 38°
Lori
1968 280SL (US)

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2024, 17:27:46 »
Colin,

You may want to check to see if you have transistorized ignition. If so your dwell should be 30 to 36 degrees. I set mine at 30 degrees and am happy with it.

Also the link Lori sent you is very important to verify what distributor you have. Not only for dwell but timing and especially correct points, condensor, rotor and cap you use.

My parts had the wrong points and rotor and the dwell was wrong which impacts the timing as well. Also do the linkage tour.

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

colin evans

• Junior Level
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2024, 17:54:47 »
Thanks guys. I definitely have the 051 distributor and I’m pretty sure I don’t have transistorized ignition which was mostly US spec. I have set the dwell to 40 degrees as per the tech manual setting for euro spec cars.
I’m away from the car until end of this week when I’ll set the timing and see how it all looks.
Thanks again
Colin