Author Topic: What is this part?  (Read 139 times)

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
What is this part?
« on: October 18, 2024, 19:53:16 »
I have worked in the cockpit to adjust the brake pedal after refurbishment of the brake booster. I had too much play when i pressed the pedal even after adjusting the excentric bolt in the engine bay.
I made a new rod between the pedal and the booster +5 mm length with my lathe . But i saw this plastic piece of a "ring" on the floor....!( photo below) may be  it comes from the brake switch?
I wonder where it comes from?
Any idea?
 BTW i made an error about the length of the rod .... i made it 1 cm longer than the one in   the car. I tested it in the garage : i pushed the car and it moved freely. So i decided to test on the road the pedal play. It was fine at the beginning but after a very short drive the car could not go forward ! and i stopped on the road side completely stucked !
I waited 1/2 an hour ..... and then i pushed the car freely .
I came back to the garage without braking....! quite stressing
I took out the rod , grinded 5 mm , put it back on the pedal.
And now i have a smooth brake pedal for the 3first cm of push and then a strong respons as i wanted.
And i can now adjust with the excentric bolt at the brake booster in the engine bay.
Conclusion: i am  happy tonight ! after all those mistakes 

« Last Edit: October 18, 2024, 19:59:03 by yves »
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Last Edit: October 18, 2024, 20:08:48 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
Re: What is this part?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2024, 20:19:02 »
Thank.s Bob  thats.it 👍👋🏻
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...