Author Topic: anyone willing to post a couple of detail shots?  (Read 3129 times)

n/a

anyone willing to post a couple of detail shots?
« on: August 26, 2005, 10:09:35 »
As I posted in another thread I've been helping a friend put a 280SL back together.  A new top was just put on and a couple of issues have popped up.  One is that I think there is too much material at the base of the rear window.  I'm referring to the material between the bottom frame and the beaded edge that lays flat around the trunk area.  It's almost impossible to get it past the latching mechanism when you try to put the top down.  So how much distance is "normal" past the body gasket for the top cover?  On my 450SL it's about 1/2", on the 280SL it's about 1.5".  The next question is the springs.  They aren't there and there doesn't seem to be a place on the top frame to attach them.  Can someone post a detail shot of the springs for me?  From what I can see they aren't necessary for properly sealing the top when it's up, but make life easier when you are raising and lowering the top.
Thanks for helping out a noob on the W113.  If I could only find someone to trade the 450SL for a 280SL 5 speed.

enochbell

Re: anyone willing to post a couple of detail shots?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 12:42:46 »
The top should fit as long as you fold the outer edges under the back bow as you store the top.  It can be quite a trick, search prior posts for some clever shoe-horn tricks.  Not only will it allow the top to store properly it will also prevent the edges from flaring up and out when you put the top up.  Here also is a spring pic.  This is a '64, so I am not certain it is exactly the same as your 280,

Best of luck,

g

Download Attachment: top spring 001.jpg
73.93 KB

Download Attachment: top spring 003.jpg
73.7 KB

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

A Dalton

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 13:54:10 »
Good pic.

That spring mount is one of the hardest hook-ups to descripe b/c the ear breaks off and it takes a picture to convey the location/position of that ear.
 That angle tells all.....
Should put that one in the tech sections somewhere with top install.

TA250SL

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 00:31:22 »
Here is another helpful soft top spring picture from an older post.

Download Attachment: soft top spring.jpg
36.24 KB

Tom
1967 250SL
Los Angeles