Author Topic: Need Help identifying model  (Read 3253 times)

dwhit417

Need Help identifying model
« on: September 20, 2010, 13:06:19 »
I need some help trying to identify my W 113.  The registration states that it is a "1966 Merc unk" meaning unknown model, I guess.  The VIN on the registration is 11324210013133.  There is a badge on the rear that reads "280SL."  However, I'm sure anyone reading this probably knows that the 280SL wasn't produced until Dec. 1967.  Stamped into the metal on a data plate in the engine compartment above the driver's side front wheelwell are the following numbers:     

050 G 040 G then something that is either 6 or G or maybe neither.
113042 10 0 ,  which I've figured out to mean 113 - platform, 042 - model 230SL, 1 - left hand drive 0 - manual transmission.
6 00362 044144

I believe it is a European model because most of the writing throughout is in German and the speedometer is in KPH only.  The valve cover reads Zundfolge 153624.  There is also a metal tag on the engine block that has the following:

Tell Nr 1270104103
Aggregat Nr 32146

I'm hoping someone can help me as I am about to attempt a restoration project.  I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I'm not in a hurry and hope to figure it out along the way.  Mostly it will be engine work.  It used to run pretty good.  Last time it was driven, about 7 or 8 years ago, it overheated and began knocking really loud.  Someone more mechanical than me said it sounded like it was "probably going to throw a rod."  It was towed home and been in the garage under a cover ever since.  About 4 years ago I began dismantling the engine with the intention of pulling it out to be rebuilt.  Still have a long way to go with that but have recently decided I need to get back to it.  The interior is already in pretty good shape.  The body as well, although I would like to have it painted eventually.  It seems to be mostly original.  I don't have any intentions of it being a show car but would like to keep it as close to original as possible.  Also, I don't have a ton of money to dump into it so I would like to do as much as I can by myself.  So, although this is my first post here I will probably become a regular on here with an endless supply of questions.  Thanks in advance.

RickM

Re: Need Help identifying model
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 13:40:25 »
Welcome.

Are you sure you have the VIN accurately typed?

If it's a 230 it should read 11304210013133. (?You have a 2 in the 4th position?)

The production sequence would put your car as a 230 built between August and September of 1965.

It's common for previous owners to re-badge their cars for a variety of reasons. Perhaps a 280 engine transplant, 280 cosmetics or maybe no reason other than to fool the casual observer.

Also, from what I've gathered from other threads, the 127 010 may designate a replacement block as opposed to the original 127 981

I'm sure quite a few members can confirm and shed more light on your questions.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 14:23:39 by RickM »

dwhit417

Re: Need Help identifying model
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 14:37:22 »
The VIN number is exactly as on the registration.  It is probably wrong on the registration card.  I couldn't find that number anywhere on the car itself only on the registration card so it is very likely incorrect.  I will do a more thorough search tonight for any more identifying numbers.  Thanks!