Author Topic: Power steering versus non-power steering  (Read 8467 times)

mille

Power steering versus non-power steering
« on: August 06, 2005, 14:54:59 »
We wish to install our Nardi 36 cm diameter in our Pagoda. The car is born with non-power steering and we are a bit scared that the steering are getting too heavy during parking etc. with the smaller steering wheel. As I would like my wife to get more interested in driving the Pagoda, we are considering either to install power steering or to exchange our 36 cm Nardi with a similar measuring 40 or 42 cm. But the question is if it's worth the time and effort involved?

Your experience and opinion is much appreciated, and if you know of anybody who has 2nd hand power steering components for sale - or wish to exchange a larger Nardi wooden steering wheel for our 36 cm Nardi, we would love to hear from you. See attached photo.

Thank you

Finn Lundorf
1964 230 SL Euro 4-speed manual,silver metallic

Download Attachment: DSC01906.JPG
72.44 KB

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Re: Power steering versus non-power steering
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 15:36:44 »
Finn ... I installed a Nardi wheel on my 230SL (manual steering) and did not like it.  The force needed to turn the wheel was not excessive but the steering wheel felt "to closer" and interfered with seeing the gauges.  It just didn't "feel right".  Other people like them so it is a matter of taste.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

mille

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 12:28:05 »
Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for your advise. I may stick to the original wheel, as my 36 cm Nardi seems too small. However, the original is white, whereas the interior is black and the vehicle is currently finishing a comprehensive restoration and is going to be silver (was white before). I might change it - and the gear nob - for a set of black instead - my white wheel and nob is in excellent condition without any cracks or damages(see attached photo. If anybody wants to exchange I would like to hear from you!

Thanks

Finn
Denmark
1964 230 SL Euro 4-speed
1988 230 E

Download Attachment: DSC01196.JPG
51.15 KB

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 13:12:53 »
I have driven Jim Villers' non-PS car and found it quite a chore to steer when parking.  My car has PS and it is a non-issue, you don't even think about it.

There is no question that the bus-sized standard steering wheel is a bit of an anachronism in the 113, but it is/was common to most MB cars of the era.  The Nardi wheel is beautiful, and a Nardi with PS is quite nice.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 17:40:24 »
Our original steering wheels in all their ivory glory are truly magnificent. With the top-down, the large and bright wheel is quite prominent. The Nardi wheels are certainly nice, but they will definitely make steering while stopped a bit more difficult, although still usable.

Keep in mind that good tie-rod ends are essential for easy steering without power-assistance. This was my first repair just after I purchased the car. The difference was like night and day.

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

A Dalton

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 18:52:19 »
How time changes taste..
 ..beng a Benz owner for 40 years , I can remember back when I thought Nardis were the coolest thing that came down the Pike... Wow !! A Nardi Wheel !!!

Now , An Ivory wheel in nice shape is the cool. Specially with the early ring... Merdedes Class.

Nardi ?????  .. No way.. looks like a kids go-cart.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/mille/200589142358_DSC01196.JPG

I wouldn't change that wheel for  anything... look at that ring, look at those ring holes going through the cross bar, look at that shifter just peekin' at ya'. just sayin' "ComeOn !! Take me for a Ride , Man !! "

yup...very cooooool !!!  Very inviting picture , too......
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 20:44:32 by A Dalton »

Albert-230SL

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 03:18:26 »
Hi Finn,

About the steering wheel, my vote is also in favour of the original steering wheel  :) :
- you keep the original look of the car
- you can see all the gauges
- you can turn the steering with much less effort
- and it's safer in case of accident [:0]

If you like it in ivory colour, you can keep it if your concern is about originality. The steering wheel in ivory color was a factory option that was possible to combine with any interior color. So black interior with white steering wheel and gear knob, might be a factory combination. Maybe the black pad in the center of your steering wheel should also be white... but I'm not sure about that point. (Attached is a vintage picture from MB, where you can see a 250 SL with black interior and the white steering wheel, including the pad).

About the Power steering, even with the big original steering wheel, if you find the way to install it at reasonable cost, go for it! The difference is huge, and not only during parking: Pagodas with power steering have a quicker steering: (aprox. 3 turns from left to right instead of 4), and it makes it more enjoyable to drive on twisty roads [:p]

But if you keep the original steering wheel, the Power Steering conversion is not so urgent  ;)

Cheers!

Download Attachment: 250 SL cul.jpg
34.17 KB

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 08:07:34 »
Finn,
  I understand that the large Nardi wheel can be very expensive and hard to find. I have a 280 and a new steering wheel was less than $200. If you are considering buying a used steering wheel watch out for cracks. It seems that the stress over a period of time caused cracks in our steering wheels. I tried to repair the cracks and discovered that the cracks are structural and are not easily repaired.
  While we are on the topic and discussing the steering wheel and the manula shift knob, it seems that a number of mechanics feel that the shift shaft should bend backwards. I found my car in this condition and learned that it was turned the wrong way. It was a simple matter to turn it around. I know of one other car that had the sem condition. I wonder if others have had this situation.
  It seems I voted with the majority and replaced my old steering wheel with a new replacement original. I beleive it looks and feels right.
Regards,
Ted '69 280SL 4 speed w/ Euro headlights a new steering wheel and a shift shaft bending forward

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 11:29:39 »
Everyone will have an opinion on this but I sure do like the power steering with the Nardi wheel.  If your car is in good shape and you can pay to have the power steering installed, your wife will be more inclined to drive the car, especially if she is accustomed to modern power steering.

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 11:40:50 »
Hello Finn,
Whereabouts do you live in Denmark?
I will be visiting in nearby Germany in Flensburg towards the end of September.  
I can send you my black steering wheel, have to look for it first.
No need to trade, as I have several of them.  
Walter
1967 230SL-diesel
1963 230SL-stock for sale

mille

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 04:57:29 »
If I get hold of a complete power steering assembly, exactly which parts should I obtain? I understand that an assembly from several sedans will fit my Pagoda, among them 250 SE? But is the steering box from a sedan as 'quick' as an original Pagoda PS steering box? I saw a set for sale which also included the steering coloumn - is it really necessary? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks a lot for your views and advise so far!

Finn

mille

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 14:00:47 »
Hi,

I really need your help! I might get hold of a power steering pump with pulley, a power steering box, hoses, belt, crank shaft pulley and brackets. Question is: Can I use the existing steering column in our 230 SL 1964 with manual steering - or do I also need a 'power steering column'? I have asked around locally but there are mixed opinions!

Thank you - your assistance is appreciated!

Finn

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 15:25:28 »
Finn,
The steering column is in two parts. You will need the pas lower part which I believe is shorter. I also believe it is specific to 113s.

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 15:26:11 by naj »
68 280SL

jcjblo

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 15:54:00 »
Finn
You can use your existing 230SL steering column with modification (I recall I have to shorten the lower shaft by about 1.5 cm, do not cutoff the splined end, cut the opposite end) but measure before cutting)
Good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by mille

Hi,

I really need your help! I might get hold of a power steering pump with pulley, a power steering box, hoses, belt, crank shaft pulley and brackets. Question is: Can I use the existing steering column in our 230 SL 1964 with manual steering - or do I also need a 'power steering column'? I have asked around locally but there are mixed opinions!

Thank you - your assistance is appreciated!

Finn

1965-230SL 4-speed Euro/Canada version, white (050) black leather interior

mille

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 10:38:37 »
Thank you for all for views and advises! As I realize the shaft has splines in both ends, I anticipate it has to be cut somewhere between the two ends, shortened and then welded together? Guess it would be safer (!!) and easier to get hold af a genuine power steering lower shaft from a 230 SL. Do any of you out there have such a shaft for sale or know where I could get one? And what about the steering column (the tube), will it fit the power steering box?

Thank you

/Finn

230 SL 1964 Euro 4-speed silver metallic w/ black interior & 280 Sl engine

A Dalton

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2005, 11:24:59 »
You may  wanr to try a new one.
The PS shaft is 113 462 06 01.

Both ends are splined.