Author Topic: NICE PAGODA  (Read 17820 times)

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
Re: NICE PAGODA
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 13:15:41 »
Hi Guys,

I was hoping not to have to reveal this, but the phenomenon of the speedo is a little-known corollary to the Coreolis Effect.  Cars that move west actually lose mileage because of the Earth's curvature.   8)  

Hmmm.. but because I moved WAY east, that makes me higher mileage, yes?

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder
Sarasota FL; Alsace France
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 13:18:06 by France »
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 17:29:45 »
Trice: It doesn't work that way with beautiful women: the older they get, the more character they acquire and out west there is a great shortage of women with character. All they have out west are blondes with implants. The hair colour is fake, the ti*s are and the skin is dyed. Their vocabulary is limited to: "Yes Baby, yes, yes". Who can blame a used car salesman for faking it as well?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 17:31:34 by theengineer »
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

Douglas

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2005, 21:32:46 »
Here's another Pagoda from the same seller using a different screen name. This time, he's being much more cautious about the car's claimed mileage:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4560496444&category=6338

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Douglas

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2005, 14:12:24 »
It's back. The good news is that the odometer seems to have stabilized. It still shows 39K, but at least it's not moving backwards any longer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-SL-Class-280SL-1969-Mercedes-280-SL-Roadster-39K-Orig-Miles-CA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6338QQitemZ4567812047QQrdZ1

(Note: the seller should consider changing the covers on the brake and clutch pedals on this car.)

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

enochbell

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2005, 15:12:32 »
I have again notified both the seller and ebay of the odometer tampering, but that is just the tip of the iceberg.  What a crock of a history.  But, let's be fair.  It could have happened by accident when Lagunaclassics was detailing the engine bay.  Maybe a disc polisher got too close to the speedo cable.  Yeah, that's the story, that's what happened.  Don't get me started.

Greg

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

n/a

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2005, 15:35:48 »
Three days ago I posted a message, maybe 20 down the list, about a nice green SL in the showroom of Frank's in Laguna Beach.

It's the same car as this one!  

If anyone wants to take a look it's in the showroom down on PCH.  Definitely worth the current bid but not the price on the window in the showroom which I believe is closer to $50K now.

Looking at the posts it seems that the car has been on e-bay since June?  Can't get more than $26K?

Also I wonder if Frank's and LagunaClassics are same group or if seller just has car on consigment in the showroom.  I recognize the e-mail address, this seller has had many nice cars for sale over the years, must have contacts with some mechanics I'm guessing, maybe even the mechanics at Frank's (or might be Frank!).  Has had too many nice ones for sale that I did not see in other places.

Really wonder how he came across this one though as I did see the earlier ad.  Would love to know the story!

Douglas

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2005, 16:09:19 »
Last week, that car was still up on Roy Spencer's site (ourSL.com) from when the previous seller had it on the market with 10K more miles on the odometer. It was only just removed from that site.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 16:25:31 by Douglas »

n/a

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2005, 18:31:02 »
Wow the price shot up suddenly.  Definitely worth more than the $26K bid this morning.  I put the value in the $35K range so current bid is about right.  While the paint is good there are some noticeable blemishes, not sure they can be repaired and blended.  If not you're looking at about $6 maybe $7K in paint to bring it up to say low $40s value, assuming the mechanicals have been professionally re-done.

If I knew of this car's interesting history and that it was on e-bay I would have checked it out more closely.  I don't remember if it has A/C (think it does not).  

If it needs major mechanical work or if rust repairs were shoddy (couldn't look underneath) current bid is too high.

Would have been a good buy for Steve looking at the 230SL, before the interior and engine compartment were re-done and of course before the mark-ups!

This looks to me like a solid car with maybe an unrealistic price expectation from the seller.  It will be interesting to see highest bid and if that meets reserve.  Definitely a test of the value of cars in this condition which are getting hard to find.

Pete

enochbell

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2005, 09:03:49 »
The seller stands behind the reading, for what it is worth:

Copy of email from broker at Laguna:

"Thank you Greg,

I found out about the odometer discrepancy a while back and immidiately
contacted the last owner and also the broker.
I received everything in writing from the last owner and also the
broker
that the miles of 39k.are for sure original.

Thanks again for the update.

Best regards,
Chris"

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

Douglas

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2005, 09:39:23 »
Why would he have to confirm anything from the previous owner if he has all the maintenance records?

And by the way, I also contacted the broker and he did NOT confirm the odometer reading of 39K.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 12:44:48 by Douglas »

terry shores

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2005, 18:35:30 »
We saw the before and after pictures.  NO WAY THAT IS A 39K  MILE CAR!!

n/a

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2005, 21:21:24 »
Boy, you got me interested here...
Out of the blue last week I received the following email...Now I understand this is a different model, but follow along and tell me what seems rotten in Belgium, or is it Laguna?
-------------------
X-Originating-IP: [82.76.199.249]
X-Originating-Email: [redcamaro777@hotmail.com]
X-Sender: redcamaro777@hotmail.com

Hello ,
First of all thanks for your interest in my car.Let me tell you a few
things about it : the car is in perfect shape ,100% orriginal, never
damaged. I have  clean title in hand.
I enharited the car from my late uncle and I have no use for it, old
cars were his passion, not mine.
My final price on this car is  5800 EURO. I know it seems a little low, but
I will be quite happy to get rid of it, believe me,because ever since
my uncle passed away this year, it just sits useless in my garage.If
you will take this price, I am willing to pay for shipping and
insurance to your location.
Presently I am located in Europe ,Belgium ,but I'm willing to ship
anywhere in Europe ,Ca or the US, as my father used to work with DHL
here and he still has some privileges in the company(great discounts,
priority deliveries...you know...). The car is located in Spain and
will be shipped from here.
I don't know much about theese cars, but i will be happy to asist you in any
way.Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy.

Best regards,

Emil
--------------------------
I received some pictures and in my reply following pics,
I played along...i was informed of the VIN-and where he says the car was listed...
-------------------------
X-Originating-IP: [82.76.198.21]
X-Originating-Email: [redcamaro777@hotmail.com]

Hi,
I had the anoncement for the or the site eBay.
The VIN number is 198 042 10 002610
Regards,

Emil
--------------------------

When i saw this car you all are talking about, the fountain just kind of stuck out...

What do you think?

Otherwise, I'll hop a flight to wherever to buy this handsome car...Think it'll be there waiting on me? Or, I'm sure that the delivery man will really show up with it...yea- that'll happen!

Download Attachment: p147-leftfront.jpg
26.7 KB

Download Attachment: p147-leftrear-ht.jpg
35.3 KB

Steve From Atlanta
Out Hunting For My SL

terry shores

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2005, 21:34:49 »
SteveRen

FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD  ***** THIS IS THE EXACT SAME WORDING AS THE FRAUDS ON EBAY!!!!  It is not his car, he is not in Belgium and he won't ship it for free!!!  PRICE IS WAY WRONG, EVERYTHING IS WRONG! FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD!!!!

n/a

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2005, 21:45:09 »
It's kind of like that Dell 42" Plasma that i was offered for $1100.00 when i was bidding on the same item type...I received that offer no less than 20 times...

Steve From Atlanta
Out Hunting For My SL

Douglas

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2005, 19:48:41 »

terry shores

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2005, 20:27:47 »
When I had pointed out the discrepancies in mileage etc. and that it was the same car recently for sale on ourSL.  I told the salesman at Laguna classics it was easy to tell it was the same car by the cracks in the hub on the steering wheel!! HE MUST OF LISTENED TO ME BECAUSE THEY NOW HAVE A NEW HUB!! The car is still listed at ourSL.
http://www.oursl.com/inventory/1964-71/113-142.htm

Douglas

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2005, 20:33:36 »
I find it funny how that car has a worn clutch pedal on the right side of the rubber cover. I would guess that they replaced the brake pedal cover, then put the old one on the clutch pedal. You'd think they would splurge and pay the $10 for both covers for a $45K car.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

n/a

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2005, 10:35:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by terry shores

SteveRen

FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD  ***** THIS IS THE EXACT SAME WORDING AS THE FRAUDS ON EBAY!!!!  It is not his car, he is not in Belgium and he won't ship it for free!!!  PRICE IS WAY WRONG, EVERYTHING IS WRONG! FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD!!!!

Terry,
So, I take it that you're not convinced that this is legit', eh?  Just kidding.  I heard you shouting across the room.

SteveRen,
Terry is 100% correct.  This character Emil is trying to hook some sucker into a scheme to steal money.  If you play along further, it will become more convoluted and you will be asked to send some money to him.  The car is in Spain, he is in Belgium and he will probably  be askin' you to send cash to the Cayman Islands.
Run away from that one.

Best regards,
Don
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 10:45:33 by n/a »