Author Topic: Motor Trend Classic  (Read 4666 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Motor Trend Classic
« on: August 22, 2005, 05:50:50 »
There's a new enthusiast magazine on the block called Motor Trend Classic.  I received a comp issue at a recent Concours, and it's pretty nice, covering all manner of collector cars (there Doc, you happy I didn't say classic?)and I believe it will appeal to many members of our group.

In the premier issue is a page of "barn finds" and sure enough there is a Gull Wing barn find, that happens to be "consigned" to Mark Passarelli at Rancho Merced.  Worth a look-see.

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050809/95738.html?.v=1

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ranchomerced

Re: Motor Trend Classic
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 15:33:37 »
I just got back from the concours at Pebble Beach and also saw the article with the rusty gullwing in the barn find section. Let it be known I did not post this article and the car is not for sale and really isnt even a canidate for restoration as the rust has the car well beyond anything more than a title and frame numbers. I have however a website detailing the cars I do currently have for sale. www.ranchomerced.com Thanks Mark Passarelli

Chad

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 17:09:54 »
???

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10
1983 300TDT, WDBAB 93A7DN

TR

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 18:53:45 »
Mark -- You're talking the white gullwing sitting out behind your place - yes?  Seeing that car was a fascinating experience.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 19:06:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by ranchomerced
...and really isnt even a canidate for restoration as the rust has the car well beyond anything more than a title and frame numbers...

...and it was merely a set of VIN numbers and some old parts that had Carroll Shelby building "new" old Cobra 427's a few years ago...

Perhaps consigned was the wrong word choice, I wasn't suggesting it was for sale, that you posted the article or anything of the sort; merely a point of reference that Mercedes is mentioned in a Motor Trend Publication, thus worth a look.  They didn't give a clue as to whether you found the car, where it was found or anything of the sort, just that it was, literally, a barn find--that elusive thing that everyone looks for.  Goodness knows what that barn looked like if the car is in such bad shape![:0]

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ranchomerced

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 19:44:24 »
OK... here is what happened. I had a visitor; he came to look at my operation and hapened to see this almost unrestorable Gullwing sitting in my back yard. He insists I contact the owner concerning possible sale of this car... I asked the owner and he said the car was not for sale... Guy who wants to buy it gets pissed; places the ad... My phone has rung off the hook for the last 7 days with no end in sight... Good thing though; I have a few others for sale. Mark Passarelli www.ranchomerced.com

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 09:17:41 »
Well, it isn't and wasn't an advertisement at all.  You have to see the photo-section yourself.  It is simply "Barn Finds"--a photo-piece--and is an answer to the following solicitation:

Found a Ford in a field? A Bugatti in a barn? A Cobra in a carport? Then send us a photo, and tell us the story. There are still thousands of great old cars squirreled away across America, and we're looking to learn their secrets. It doesn't matter if you've bought the car, know the details, or simply heard the rumor. Send us some snapshots -- hopefully prior to the car being moved or restored -- and anything else you know about the situation. The more recently the car was discovered, and the rarer it is, the better. Post-war hardware only, please. If the car is for sale, please provide contact information too. We plan to use this great automotive folklore in a future issue. Photos can be high-res digital shots sent in via email to classic@motortrend.com; or clear sharp prints, which can be mailed to "MT Barn Finds," Motor Trend, 6420 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, 90048.

But, when you have a car like that, sitting like that, it is the proverbial "perfect shot" for the above solicitation.  The air of mystery with an unnamed owner, an "unrestorable" car that isn't for sale, sitting at a place known for restoration, just adds to the allure!  The fact that most any Gull Wing sells for well into the six figures is more mystery.  Last but not least the fact that your phone is ringing off the hook, and we are talking about it means the editors did their job.

If it is an issue, be wary of storing un-restorable cars that are not for sale--particularly Gull Wings.  Bound to cause a fuss. ;)

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 17:00:40 »
( I wonder what would happen if anyone saw what I have in my barns???? )

HUMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm........

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 21:45:35 »
Isn't that what slbarn.mbz.org is for?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 05:50:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

Isn't that what slbarn.mbz.org is for?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420

Well, our friend Roman brought his car to the good Dr. the other day, and DID indeed get a tour of the barns...as I did last year.  Sorry you'll have to go visit Dan and see for yourself what he's got...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid