Author Topic: Help windscreen washers  (Read 5125 times)

rob walker

Help windscreen washers
« on: September 07, 2005, 04:01:22 »
 :oops: A really stupid question, but I have a relative taking the car for its first UK MOT to get the car transferred to UK plates, and he cannot find the windscreen washers.
I thought they were on the multi stalk switch but he has tried everything but cannot seem to get them operating.
There is water in the bottle and I am sure I used them before.
Please advise where he should be looking.
Thanks

Rob Walker

1968 280SL papyrus white/green leather
2004 230 SLK silver

Ben

Re: Help windscreen washers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 06:10:25 »
It IS on the stalk !

You need to PUSH the stalk away from you, the opposite to flashing the lights !!

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 06:26:30 »
Ben is correct.  There is also a small pump motor mounted to the hood safety release lever.  When activated by the wiper stalk the motor turns on and pumpd fluid from the plastic tank to the window washer nozzle on top of the air scoop.  The motor may need a cleaning or the nozzle may be clogged.  It's a very simple item to trouble shoot.  When you push the stalk forward do you hear the pump motor running?  Use a volt meter to see if you have power at the motor connector when the stalk is pressed in.  Make sure the hoses and nozzle are clear.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 07:52:28 »
On a related note, the tube that carries the fluid from the bottle to the nozzel often comes loose just below the sprayer.  When this happens the fluid simply runs down under the cowl to the groud and it never comes out the sprayer onto the windscreen.  Perhaps this is happening to your relative?

Have him/her peek into the air vent on the cowl you will see a black tube under the sprayer.  If it's disconnected you simply push it back onto the nipple with needle noze pliers and it'll work fine.   Mine doesn't have a clamp it just slipps over the nipple -- perhaps that's why it keeps falling off.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 08:26:12 »
I am so glad that I am not the only one who had trouble figuring out how to get the washers to work

The first time I needed the washers on my car, I could not get water to come out of the nozzle.

I was bashing the floor button (main beam) and no water was coming out :oops:  Odd, that!

James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 11:23:39 »
Hello. I troubleshot my washers a few years back to see why they didn't spray. The pump made a lot of noise but no water came out. If I recall, I removed the pump, took it apart (4 screws) and basically cleaned out as much as I could. The various inlet/outlet holes had some muck that came out. I also made sure the hose going to nozzle was clear and not kinked. Finally, I used a needle to clean out the "eyes" of the nozzles. That did the trick.

The problem is, it may have worked too good. Its like my pump is on steroids. The first time I tried them, the stream literally hit the trunk. I kid you not. So I adjusted the angle and now it hits the windshield but is still a pain. The wipers knock down much of it but a lot still runs off and makes a mess of my cowl area... So I rarely use the washers -- its easier for me to do it at home or a service station. But at least they work!

Oh and while we are in the neighborhood, if you are inside your cowl vent and have never cleared your drains in there -- you might want to. This is a topic that has not come up here for a long time -- and is often overlooked.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

rob walker

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 19:42:06 »
Thanks everyone, he has found how to activate the washers but the pump is just clicking, so he has to look at cleaning that out. As I am in Asia currently and he is in the UK not sure of the result until later.
I hate MOTs you always seem to end up having problems develop at the last minute!

Rob Walker

2004 230 SLK silver

graphic66

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 07:06:12 »
After cleaning out my pump it wouldn't work until I got some water in it. I think the pumps sometimes need to be primed in order to get going. Hold the hose up and pour some water in it to get the pump filled, it worked for me.

Dick M

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 20:02:06 »
James...
I now expect you to come over the house to fix my window washer..
It has never worked.... of course I never go out in weather that would require a window washer.

Dick M
1970 280SL

rob walker

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 01:11:42 »
Passed the MOT with flying colours, no work to be done, which is a first for any car I have ever owned :) .
The only thing they did not check was the windscreen washers!!!
No to the DVLA for licencing.

Does anyone know the type approval number for the 280SL? as this is one of the boxes to be filled out on the form.

Rob Walker

2004 230 SLK silver

Ben

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 01:58:53 »
quote:
James...
I now expect you to come over the house to fix my window washer..
It has never worked.... of course I never go out in weather that would require a window washer.

.........its well for some !!  :(

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 12:07:56 »
Hi Dick. Sure thing! Any excuse to see your car works for me...

And Ben, sorry us sunny day driver's are always rubbing it in. You get the beer, we get the sun! I wouldn't mind a trade once in a while... 8)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL