Author Topic: Heat Reductoin Inside Car  (Read 5476 times)

n/a

Heat Reductoin Inside Car
« on: September 15, 2005, 01:36:24 »
Hi all,
My car seems to be very hot on the inside. I feel the heat coming from the floor especially around the auto transmission lever and next to the seat. The chrome plate of the auto lever heats up to the point where you cannot touch it! It gets to be very uncomfortable to drive. Any similar situations/suggestions?
Thanks
Mo
'69 280 SL Silver/Black

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Heat Reductoin Inside Car
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 05:11:51 »
My carpets don't fit that well, which in a way is a good thing

I have stuffed some very thin house insulation under them. There's a thread on here about it somewhere but it's reflective and works very well

That said, it sounds like something may be running too hot as my chrome plate gets warm but only rarely hot
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 05:47:34 »
The chrome plate in my car also gets hot from time to time, although not that hot that you cannot touch it.
There are supposed to be two aluminum heat shielding plates between the exhaust (down-) pipes and the car body; do you have those in place?
And maybe the exhaust is routed a bit too close to the floor?

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 05:49:32 »
My chrome plate gets very hot as well to the point that I cannot keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

n/a

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 06:34:24 »
Yes, me too.  The auto lever plate gets hot (not so that you cannot touch) and the side of the driver's seat closest to the drive shaft gets hot after a while.  i only notice the seat heating up in warm weather. If it gets any worse I will investigate Cees suggestion of the aluminum shielding plates.

tuultyme

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 11:40:57 »
When I replaced my carpet a couple of winters ago I added extra sound deading material to the floor.  First I left the original black material that was on the floor.  Then I installed Dynamat Extreme on the entire floor including all the cross members, firewall, and even on the area in front of the convertible top storage area.  I did not use it on the doors as some people have done.  Additional to the front floor areas I added the silver backed insulatiing material found at most auto parts stores.  Then the carpet and finally thick floor mats.  It is supprising how much quieter the cockpit area now is.  I took as much care as possible to seal all the though fire wall opens.  The auto shifter plate does get warm but not hot even in 90+ weather.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

jsaylor

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 12:03:52 »
I have my floors stripped and plan on instaling dynamat after I paint them all.  I  plan on covering all the areas w/ dynamat before installing the new carpets and pads.  It looks like the aft passenger side must have gotten very hot at some point as the old insulation has melted to the floor.  Lots of funstripping it all of and preping for paint.  
Aloha,

Jim Saylor
Kauai, Hawaii
'65 230SL

mal

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 12:36:20 »
Hi Mohannad, Hope you are fine.
Remember you are in Dubai and the t temperature reaches over 40 Celsius on a mild day. It is normal for the chrome or any metal part to heat up so much..
The best thing is to remove the front carpet and add Dynamat or equivalent and then some extra thick padding. This is what i did to my car though the temperature is not so extreme in Lebanon, but it works..
Good Luck

Malek Mrowa - Beirut, Lebanon.
280SL 71- Light Blue-/Blue
190SL 61 - Ivory/Red

n/a

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 13:28:35 »
Thank you all for the usefull suggestions.
Is Dynamat a replacement for the carpet or is it the insulation that goes under? How does it look like? Where else can i put it to reduce heat emission?
Thanks
MO

mal

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 02:29:28 »
Salamat Mohannad,
The Dynamat is used mainly for sound dampening and heat reduction. Contact  3M they have an equivalent.
You can use Tar Rolls insulation (ZIFT) that is used in construction on the roof tops of buildings for water proofing. If they do not have the stuff in Dubai
Attached is a photo of my car when I was doing the insulation . The black mats are the Dynamat which goes on the metal floor, then the insulation padding, then you put back the carpet.
If you need any info call me
Regards
Malek

Download Attachment: Pic 1.jpg
60.11 KB

Malek Mrowa - Beirut, Lebanon.
280SL 71- Light Blue-/Blue
190SL 61 - Ivory/Red

n/a

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 05:16:09 »
Thanks Mal...much appreciated. I will check if Dynamat is available in Dubai, otherwise will try 3M....will let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Mo
69 280 SL Silver/Black

jmela

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 07:48:29 »
A product I've been looking into is insulating tape which is wrapped around the header pipes. This would keep underhood temps down and perhaps make things cooler in the cabin.

SummitRacing.com has a few different items- search under 'header wraps'.

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 15:27:19 »
Mo,
  I have a stainless steel exhaust system and I had a sinmilar problem which was caused by a bolt touchong the frame and transferring heat. Check that your exhaust system is properly aligned.
Ted
'69 Manual 280SL