Author Topic: Windscreen Wipers  (Read 4434 times)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Windscreen Wipers
« on: October 12, 2005, 13:45:10 »
Been told today that I am likely to need a complete overhaul of my wiper motor and mechanism (including the spindles). They leak (wondered where the water came from) and doing this necessitates pulling the dash. Oh, and being a right hooker, parts are not exactly falling off trees

Lovely :(
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Windscreen Wipers
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 14:59:25 »
Ouch. Perhaps you can do a lot of the prep work (the actual dismantling and re-installing of the dash components) yourself?

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 15:34:45 »
Tosh,

It's a pain of a job to do.  The motor is an easy job as it is removed from the engine compartment.  You may have more difficulty getting to it because of the brake booster.  The spindles are a challenge.  I question if the leak is coming from the spindle and wiper shaft itself.  More than likely the leak is coming from the spindle to body area.  Looks like a rubber washer is installed against the body around the spindle.  If the washer has dried up and cracked there would be a leak problem possible.  The way the wiper shaft is installed through the spindle,  water would need to go uphill so to speak to come in along the shaft.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Ben

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 02:04:57 »
Actually on a RHD car the booster is not in the way. There is plenty of room to get the motor outr. I agree with Jeff though and check those rubber washers first !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

George Davis

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 08:04:47 »
You might also check the condition of the scuttle box drain tubes.  There is a rubber hose on each side that connects the upper and lower metal pipes, and if the rubber hoses are rotten you can get a leak there that might mimic leaking wiper shafts.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Tom230sl

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 10:52:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by George Davis

You might also check the condition of the scuttle box drain tubes.  There is a rubber hose on each side that connects the upper and lower metal pipes, and if the rubber hoses are rotten you can get a leak there that might mimic leaking wiper shafts.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

pic  showing tubes

Download Attachment: PB150044.jpg
61.01 KB

A Dalton

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 10:52:35 »
I agree w/both G and J .
 Check the drain connector hoses under the dash  [ both sides] and the body seal/washers around the spindles.  The spindles are in a body cavity so a bad washer will leak into the cabin and the hoses   commonly  dry up and crack. I replace these with clear hose so you can  easily see if they plug up with debris without having to pull anything apart at the air intake vent assembly..
..also, check the one way ball valves at the end of the drain hose pipes [ on firewall]

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 12:56:32 »
Wow, this place is amazing! Thanks

I will have a poke around. Haynes appears to be as clear as mud so I'll find an hour, some daylight and a flashlight. The estimate to replace the lot is not small so anything I can do to prolong active life, the better

Had an advisory on the certificate of roadworthiness/MOT and had a worn left kingpin (front) resulting in excess lift so that was shimmed rather than replaced. Other than that... good to go for another year, the 37th...
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 23:02:15 »
Isn't water from around the recessed area where the wiper arms attach (shaft?) supposed to drain into the box and out the rubber hoses mentioned here?  I recall that a gap should be found at the lower rear coners of the cowl vent cover.  If that gap is plugged, it can lead to troubles.  I'll look and post a picture of what I'm thinking about.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"