Author Topic: Patina  (Read 12988 times)

Chad

Re: Patina
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2005, 15:50:31 »
I agree with you Douglas.  This rear bonnet probably does not need fully stripped to achieve a very good result.  On the other hand, when the job is put into good hands, you simply can't go wrong with fully stripping it down to the metal.  I am having this 230 completely stripped to the bare metal, mostly just to make sure there is nothing nasty hiding there.

It probably doesn't add much to the repainting cost for just a rear bonnet.

Chad

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2005, 01:41:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by John C

I also have to thank Rodd M. for help with downsizing  photos for posting---I'm taking a stab at it with a photo of both cars.

Download Attachment: IMG_0885 (Small) (3).JPG
66.12 KB

John,
I think you have "illegal" characters in this file name.  I would not use the "(" and ")" characters.  Maybe no spaces in the name either?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2005, 01:44:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by John C

So (as of this afternoon anyway), I'm going to pursue a repaint.  To that end, is there a "checklist" of items I should be negotiating for?  The shop I deal with uses Sikkens paint and I will have all the chrome, glass and rubber removed, and the car will be taken down to bare metal....
Would this require all the chrome and rubber to be replaced or refurbished to match the brilliant new paint job?  Why leave the patina on the trim work when removing it from the body?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Chad

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2005, 08:57:27 »
Rodd, Millers sells a (nearly) complete rubber kit for the stuff he's most likely to need. It's like $500 some dollars and is probably very much worth it to complement the proper repaint he is undertaking.

As far as chrome, his looks great to me in the pics.  I did not undertake this because several of you have pointed out that rechroming requires ALL of it to be rechromed to match. My chrome looks really good to me so I didn't think it needed it. The chrome on these cars was very durable, at least to my mind's eye which paints in broad brushstrokes.

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10

John C

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2005, 10:05:29 »
I plan on replacing the rubber with the kit offerred by Miller. Like Chad, I think the chrome on my car looks pretty good to me, so I won't be doing any rechroming.  Again, this car is a "driver" not a show car---it's just that in its present condition it looks shabby (in the pictures I've posted, the paint  appears a lot better than it actually looks in person).