Author Topic: Jacking Car?  (Read 3002 times)

Bearcat

Jacking Car?
« on: January 01, 2006, 08:09:12 »
its this time of year again..oil changes....have two trolley jacks....where exactly are the points where I can jack it up.

whats the consensus re slick 50 additive?

Last question the frame on my soft top slightly sags down over the drivers door area....is there any way of adjusting the frame or do I just live with it?

280SL 1970
S500 2000
E220 Cdi Est 2005
LR 90 V8

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Jacking Car?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 10:35:48 »
1. I use a floor jack too.  I have a one foot long soft wood 2X4 that I use on the top of the jack and line it up with the "frame" just inside the jacking points.  This distributes the load.  I have chiseled a circle in the 2X4 that fits the top of the circular top of the jack to inhibit any slipping.  I'd still use jack stands for safety.

2. I don't think you'll find a consensus on any oil additive.  However, Slick 50 probably doesn't hurt anything.  I'm a fan of good synthetic oil without additives.

3.  I have a coupe so I can't help you there.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:39:18 by Raymond »
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

isofast

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 10:46:33 »
Hi Bearcat I think all additives are snake oil. Modern day oil has plenty of everything that you need already in the bottle.
Modern day oil has a geat deal of advantages over the oil originally found in our car.
Just my two cents.
As for your top, my sagged a little also and although there about four different generations and changes to the constuction of our folding tops, mine like many others I have seen was missing the tension cable that spans the area above the driver and passenger window.
I did not know this until Tuultyme Bruce saw my car and pointed this out to me. My top guy put the cables in when he put my new Gahh top on.
Good luck
Ernie

First Place AACA Show Winner 350SL July 2003
I love low mile Mercedes.
First Place AACA Show winner for 2004 280SL
1969 280 4spd Papyrus White

Bearcat

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 11:00:26 »
Thanks Guys.....re the tension cable...I am all ears.. Never knew it exisited. Is it difficult to install and what part no is it?

Rgds

David

isofast

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 13:14:50 »
Bear. Just enter top cable then hit search! I did and came up with a part number not sure if it is correct for your car but here is a previous post by a Hans in Stockholm...
 "The foam strips glued to the soft top fabric _are_ the solution. However, another key element of this Sindelfingen design are the two steel wires (one each side) that put tension onto the seals and make them absolutely wind and water tight. You can make these wires or buy them from M-B, No is A1137700066"

/Hans in Stockholm

First Place AACA Show Winner 350SL July 2003
I love low mile Mercedes.
First Place AACA Show winner for 2004 280SL
1969 280 4spd Papyrus White