Author Topic: wiper/Directional switch replacement ?  (Read 3224 times)

patm

wiper/Directional switch replacement ?
« on: December 31, 2005, 19:18:35 »
I have a 111 but have been doing alot of work with my son in law, gettin his 230 SL back on the road after five years. we have it in pretty good shape now. He is trying to replace his wipers but aparently it is part of the directional switch and is having a hard time of it. are there any tips or shortcuts? does the steering colunm have to come out? If so do you need to remove the ignition switch. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, Thanks alot, PAT.

Pat McCusker
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 19:25:25 by patm »

jeffc280sl

Re: wiper/Directional switch replacement ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 20:45:04 »
The wiper/turn signal switch is easy to remove, difficult to repair and expensive to replace.  It can be done without removing the steering wheel and ignition switch. At the base of the arm there is a rubber boot.  Under the boot there are two screws which secure the arm to the steering column.  There are two additional screws which have brown wires  attached to them.  The wires are for the horns.  They need to be disconnected to remove the switch.  Further down the steering column on the same side,  a large wire bundle exits the interior of the column and connects to a multi pin connector under the dash.  Trace the bundle to the connector and and split it apart.  Now you can remove the mounting screws and pull the arm out.  Feed the connector through the hole in the column and remove it through the mounting hole for the arm.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

patm

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 21:05:17 »
On the 230SL, there does not seem to be enough room between the steering shaft and the column to feed the wire bundle, with the connecter still on,  through the opening.  Are you suggesting that I disassemble the connector away from the individual wires?

Pat McCusker

patm

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 21:45:35 »
Thanks Jeff. I had been writing for my son in law who was actually doing the work and he used your advice and got the switch right out and has allready put the new one in. Instant gratification. Thankl you again. PAT.

Pat McCusker