Author Topic: can faulty alternator destroy voltage regulator?  (Read 7561 times)

userzweig

can faulty alternator destroy voltage regulator?
« on: December 09, 2005, 16:56:40 »
Hi,

I have a '71 280sl automatic, and the battery has been going dead lately.  If I charge it with a charger, it lasts about a week, then it goes dead.

I had the system tested, and they said that the voltage regulator and alternator were bad (bad diodes in the alternator), so I bought new ones.  First, I installed the regulator.  Then, I started the car.  A wisp of smoke appeared in the vicinity of the regulator.

I wonder if I have burned out the regulator by replacing it first and letting the faulty diodes on the alternator get to it.  Also, is it safe to install the new alternator now, or should I test the regulator first?

Bruce
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 16:59:26 by userzweig »

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
Re: can faulty alternator destroy voltage regulator?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 12:56:18 »
After nobody has replied for some time now, I'll share my experience, but I'm not an electrical engineer: This alternator has nine diodes. Three pairs of three. I found that on my alternator, the two banks of large diodes checked out allright (using a Fluke meter). Still, the alternator did not charge properly: The red dashboard light would stay on at idle and at increased RPM's would go dim. The third set of diodes controls the voltage regulator. There are three connections on the voltage regulator and on the alternator (plus the power connection where the charging current is taken out). The three connections are maked D+, D- and Df. Note that MB uses the color brown for ground and black for positive. Therefore D- is the brown wire. You may want to verify that the wiring is connected properly. The pins of the regulator are also marked. Most shops cannot test the alternator properly i.e. they can only test the alternator for output, but not the third set of diodes which control the voltage regulator. My alternator tested just fine for output. Instead of having my alternator rebuilt, I obtained one from a scrap yard much cheaper. I feel that you cannot damage the voltage regulator with a defective alternator, but the voltage regulator has a relay in it with points and can certainly become defective. You can probably remove the cover and inspect it visually and using an ohm meter.The one from the scrap yard is a 55 Amp alternator, it is much more common and the same size. Try to find a shop which has a CRT display with the alternator test bench: Then you can see that all three legs of the alternator charge uniformly. I went to Blanchard Electric in Seattle.

'69 280SL,Signal Red,113044-12-007537,tired engineer, West-Seattle, WA
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 14:10:22 by theengineer »
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 16:51:08 »
For long term reliability, I would change to a 55 amp alternator with an internal electronic regulator.
Howerer, you will need a new plug and have to run a wire to the D+ terminal to operate the warning light.
If its a show car, forget what I just said  ;)

Sorry, the picture didn't upload.
Try this:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZMW7do2YtWEc

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 17:06:06 by naj »
68 280SL

userzweig

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 18:14:55 »
Thanks for the info.  My current alternator has the red light on during idle, and dimming as rpm increase, so it sounds like it has the same problem as your theengineer.  I just bought whatever Kaliber recommended for my car, and I think it was around $163 for the regulator and alternator, and I'll get back $25 or so for the old alternator when it's done.

I guess that wisp of smoke was dust or something when the relay clicked for the first time.  I'll go ahead and replace the alternator and so hopefully all will be OK.

Thanks for the picture, Naj.  How hard was it to fit a new plug?  Did you need to solder it onto the old wires?

Bruce