Author Topic: Windshield Post seals  (Read 3613 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Windshield Post seals
« on: December 31, 2005, 13:32:49 »
I installed new rubber windhsield post seals and now, I can't roll the windows up or down with the door closed.  Am I going to have to remove the door panels and adjust from inside?  Or, does someone out there know a trick I missed.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Windshield Post seals
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 14:07:46 »
Ray, is there a gap between the rear edge of the window and the rubber on that edge (with window up)? If so you may be able to adjust the entire window. From inside the door panels I'm afraid. Maybe your old seals were smushed and shrunk so window could sit forward more.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

tuultyme

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 14:22:42 »
You are having the same problem I had when I replaced mine.  Get rid of the after market ones that are made of just rubber.  Buy the set that has a cloth coating.  There are a lot of rubber pieces that are OK if you buy the remanufactured parts but other parts such as these windshield post seals and the windshield seal should be the OEM parts.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

RBurg

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 14:50:58 »
Raymond:

I had the same problem - gave me a lot of grief. Threw them away and ordered the original MB.  Work  perfect.  What a mistake to listen to someone else the said the seals are all universal.

Happy New Year :D

Ron
71 280SL Tobacco "O GIGI"
97 E420 Silver Mist

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 10:10:10 »
Thanks for the tips.  The glass fits fine agains the top and back of the old original seals.  The windshield post seals I replaced had no sign of fabric and must have been aftermarket too but fit okay.  Oh well, I guess I'm off to the dealer this week.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

isofast

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 10:34:54 »
The Original MB seals expensive but worth it, have a unique cloth coating that makes rolling the window up and down a breeze. I had told Tuultyme Bruce about this and it cured his problem with the tough window roll up. My head is spinning with another idea maybe Benz also figured out a better seal for the top compartment lid cover? The lid cover rubber has cloth ends where the top folds and pinches/rubs when stuffing in compartment. I know that these two seals are the only two cloth covered rubber seals found on our cars! If you are lucky enough to have a friend that has an unrestored/unmolested original you can see that many replacement seals are glued in or installed wrong. Perfect example of that is the trunk seal 7 out of 10 Pagoda I see have this in wrong! Trunk leak anyone?
Ernie

First Place AACA Show Winner 350SL July 2003
I love low mile Mercedes.
First Place AACA Show winner for 2004 280SL
1969 280 4spd Papyrus White