Author Topic: Convertible Top Frame  (Read 3026 times)

dschuett

Convertible Top Frame
« on: January 24, 2006, 01:32:02 »
My convertible top frame is sadly mislaigned.  The windows fit the hardtop just fine, but the soft top fabric has been torn a little more each time I raise the top.  The top fabric was new when I bought the car about 10 years ago, but never fit the windows.  Can the frame be straightened?  Is there anyone recommended in the western United States?

Thanks.

Dale Schuett
1971 280SL Dunklerot/Black
carguy5105@aol.com

Douglas

Re: Convertible Top Frame
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 06:28:50 »
He's not in the West, but Gernold Nisius has a good reputation for Pagoda soft top frame restorations. He has a one-man shop in Kennebunkport, Maine and is at SLTechW113.com

RBurg

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 16:44:13 »
Are there any directions for aligment of the soft top. I sure could use some help

Ron - Minnesota
71 280SL Tobacco "O GIGI"
97 E420 Silver Mist

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 18:13:05 »
Hi Dale,

Gernold is the expert on soft tops and frames, but from my limited experience...  if you remove the 2 springs on each side of the frame, and then loosen the 2 bolts on each side, the frame has some "give" and will slide around a bit.  In addition, there are shims on each side, under the frame.  The shims are very thin pieces of metal and each side has approx 4-5 shims.  These help with adjusting the height of the frame to the windows.

Hope this helps.  I would also email Gernold.  He has the most experience with the 113 soft tops.

Regards,
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320