Author Topic: What Is My SL Worth?  (Read 3051 times)

n/a

What Is My SL Worth?
« on: January 23, 2006, 13:31:58 »
I am looking to sell my 1971 280SL but not sure how much to ask for it or how to do it.  Anybody have suggestions?  

About the car, we bought it 2 years ago and have not done much to it.  We do know that the gas tank needs to be refurbished because the fuel line clogs, other than that the engine is sound.  The body has original paint which will need to be redone but is in great condition considering how old it is!  Very little rust from what we can tell.  The interior looks good, carpets are in good condition, dash board looks nice but the heater switches need to be replaced.  The soft top will need to be replaced, but I have the hard top.  I still have the original hubcaps.  

I'm not sure if it would be better to sell this car on Ebay or to list it elsewhere.  

Any help would be appreciated!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: What Is My SL Worth?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 14:05:03 »
Hey Craig. Your description helps a little but I'd say more is needed to really get even a ball-park figure. Pictures might help. A few of the things you mentioned tend to favor the buyer -- and might bring the value down (rusted fuel tank, heater levers, soft-top). Any interest in fixing up these things yourself -- and then selling? Just a thought. (of course, then you won't want to sell...)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Ed Cave

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 17:09:11 »
Although some have had good experoiences using ebay, I would suggest trying other means first; Hemmings comes to mind. James is right, you really haven't given anyone enough to do a fair appraisal but based on what you did say, I'd guess high teens / lowest twenties.

I'm also not sure where you live but a car at that value might (and this really does depend on where you are) be better advertised locally than nationally.

Just a thought.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

Chad

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 17:53:32 »
Fix them up and keep it and post pics and learn things and post advice for us here!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 18:09:33 by Chad »