Author Topic: transmission linkage photos?  (Read 4907 times)

65auto230sl

transmission linkage photos?
« on: January 02, 2006, 10:08:56 »
hello all, i need a little help. i'm putting my new engine back in and i can't figure out the linkage from the automatic gear shifter down to the transmission. the car was disassembled in a lot of areas when purchased so things like this are tough! if anybody has pictures of the underside i would really appreciate it!
thanks, bo

65 230sl white
84 300sd black
94 e320 wagon silver

cth350

• Regular
  • USA, NY, Rockville Centre
Re: transmission linkage photos?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 18:57:03 »
no photo handy, but it should be straight forward.
1. Put the shifter in park.
2. Put the transmission in park.
3. The linkage rod should hopefully now fit. ;)

It's a great time to replace the plastic bushings on the tranny's linkage and the shifter.  Once the linkage is slipped into them, a little metal clip holds it in place.

Looking at the transmission first (especially since there are no lables there), run the lever through all the gears by hand.  The distance between park and neutral is a rather large arc.  That should be all you need to know to get it in place.

-CTH

65auto230sl

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 09:46:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by 65auto230sl

hello all, i need a little help. i'm putting my new engine back in and i can't figure out the linkage from the automatic gear shifter down to the transmission. the car was disassembled in a lot of areas when purchased so things like this are tough! if anybody has pictures of the underside i would really appreciate it!
thanks, bo

65 230sl white
84 300sd black
94 e320 wagon silver

thanks for the info. my problem was that the actual linkage rod was missing from my car and i didn't know what i was looking for! problem solved, eventually found it in the trunk with a bunch of other fun stuff. thanks again, bo

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 09:59:09 »
Be sure to install the rod in the right way too.  Pay attention to the transmission tunnel clearances.  If the rod is intalled backward then it will hit the tunnerl and make it hard to shift.  Install the rod with the long end to the shifter first and then to the tranny.  The end with the adjustment nut should be nearest the transmission lever.  Forget which way the rod ends point towards the tranny or away from the tranny.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas