Author Topic: Pagoda found in Chicago parking garage - value?  (Read 4995 times)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Pagoda found in Chicago parking garage - value?
« on: January 31, 2006, 11:43:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by KhalilShalabi

Hello, my name is Khalil and I recently purchase a parking garage in Chicago and to my suprise it had a 1968-1970 280SL in very good condition and 99% rust free. It has been there for as long as people can remember (over 10 years with ut being started or driven). Its been covered and indoors, how can I get information on its history? How much would it take to restore the engine? If I sold as is what is its fair market value. Thanks, Khalil

Khalil Shalabi

I posted this here, it was under the New Member Introductions.  Are any of you Chicago members able to help?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Re: Pagoda found in Chicago parking garage - value?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 11:47:25 »
What colour is the car? What colour interior?

George

1965 230SL

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 15:51:58 »
What is the chassie number , vin number and engine number?

Bob Geco

isofast

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 18:17:30 »
I am in Lake Bluff just to the north.
Where are you Khalil?
Ernie

First Place AACA Show Winner 350SL July 2003
I love low mile Mercedes.
First Place AACA Show winner for 2004 280SL
1969 280 4spd Papyrus White

Chad

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 19:53:00 »
Did I read right that you found a w113 in a garage that you bought in Chicago?? If this is incorrect then please ignore the rest.

Don't like to invite rainshowers to the picnic, but. . . my advice is before you buy the pistons and replate the injection pipes you may want the Chicago police run the VIN and see who this car's last owner was or is?  They can also run the VIN to see if it's reported stolen. In case the VIN plate has been removed/etched there are other places to find the VIN # and or motor #.  A stolen car or classic car without a title is potentially a big can of stink. Prior to spending any of your money on it do the right thing.  The first place to start for getting info about the car's history in this case is to contact the Dept Motor Vehicles and police. (It seems to be your responsibility now as a citizen.) If it's clear (somehow...? ) then take it from there and enjoy spending the $ because it sounds like a good candidate for being mostly rustfree.

An unknown car without a title or potentially very stolen car is/should currently be worth nothing until it is investigated. I would challenge anyone to share a story of finding an excellent w113 example with truly no title/no owner/no rightful heir that otherwise did not have any major complication in the story.

Good luck and I hope you become a pagoda owner and fellow enthusiast here someday soon. See Dr Benz' posting about a meeting this summer which is only about three hours from you, that would be a good place to see more cars.

Rodd, if he doesn't frequent the forum much you might want to email him and convey this info to him... I have heard stories of people unwittingly even buying old cars without titles/etc and finding them stolen (tough to believe people would actually do that). The car may have a loving owner out there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 20:34:57 by Chad »

norton

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 20:09:10 »
This is kinda like a "barn find" with an urban twist. :D

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

Chad

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 20:36:07 »
There are no barns in Chicago.(' :D ')
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 20:36:29 by Chad »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 21:07:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chad

Not in over 100 years!
"Besides the fact that the Great Chicago Fire started around 9 o'clock on Sunday evening, October 8, 1871, somewhere in or very near the O'Leary barn, the exact particulars of its origins are unknown."

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Chad

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 21:10:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

quote:
Originally posted by Chad

Not in over 100 years!
"Besides the fact that the Great Chicago Fire started around 9 o'clock on Sunday evening, October 8, 1871, somewhere in or very near the O'Leary barn, the exact particulars of its origins are unknown."

Rodd

Another windy-city barnfind with unknown origins... The Great Chicago Fire!(' :D ')

n/a

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 15:06:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by isofast

I am in Lake Bluff just to the north.
Where are you Khalil?
Ernie

First Place AACA Show Winner 350SL July 2003
I love low mile Mercedes.
First Place AACA Show winner for 2004 280SL
1969 280 4spd Papyrus White

I live in Lemont but my garage is in Hyde Park. My # is 708-692-1248. I am using a service to make sure the car is not stollen and getting a title to it, making it drivable and seeing how it is before I sink more $ in it.

Khalil Shalabi

Chad

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 16:28:35 »
Good luck Khalil, sounds like exactly the sequence of doing things. Just don't put money into it until you know for sure.
If it's free and had no owner and you get it running and drive it you will certainly keep it and not part with it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 16:28:50 by Chad »

Douglas

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 17:28:08 »
Khalil,

Good luck with the project and please share pix once you've sorted it out. I guess this is about as close to "free" as you can get without it actually falling out of the sky. If it's sitting in a parking space that could be generating revenue, there's nothing free about it, of course. One way or another, someone has been paying for it to sit there. Nonetheless, it's a great story. Please keep us informed.