Author Topic: Bizarre & amusing pagoda video - check it out  (Read 6270 times)

Chad

Bizarre & amusing pagoda video - check it out
« on: February 07, 2006, 20:13:03 »
Okay, I ran over this bizarre pagoda car video while cruising the internet highway during a spare moment.  Has anyone else seen this or did anyone here create this?  First time I saw it it was so bizarre and amusing. It's using a rough rally car and shows a nice pagoda at the end... and the star trek theme ties it all together (I don't know how else to explain it).

Here's a link:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7492878771204500466&q=230sl
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 20:16:01 by Chad »

A Dalton

Re: Bizarre & amusing pagoda video - check it out
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 20:42:59 »
I see they have made my copper tubing differential offset measuring tool.........

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 20:46:46 »
Someone here DID create that. I remember him sharing it with us when this was a Yahoo group several years ago. (It's still enjoyable to watch years later!)

Chad

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 20:53:00 »
I bookmarked it and am still laughing at it.

Ed Cave

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 21:07:01 »
I've never contemplated so long and yet, found no way to respond to that. Way cool and yes, quite bizarre!

I'd go so far as to say there is not a single member of this group that won't love that clip.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 00:30:31 »
It's Mike Haney's car. I don't recall seeing this video before, but hearing the theme from "six million dollar man" again made watching it all the more fun.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

peterm

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 08:22:20 »
Video is interesting but,  initial car (green flag car) doesn't have 280sl in radio cut out (as appears later during rallye),  hard to tell but looks like theres a radio there.  Also the left front end damage doesn't fit with the crash.  I saw no left front end contact.  The car in the photo (post accident) doesn't have that rubber padding on the headliner at the windscreen as it does in the video.  I'm surprised this hypercritical group hasn't chimed in yet, usually we pick these things apart!~ :D

A Dalton

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 08:34:37 »
<<I'm surprised this hypercritical group hasn't chimed in yet, usually we pick these things apart!~>>

This Ebay Listing Fine Toothed Comb Group ???

..Nah... didn't get a view of the firewall pad ..
... anybody???????

Douglas

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 10:22:40 »
$6 million? This is really going to skew the values in Olson's SL Market Letter....   :-)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 10:47:26 »
That's pretty original! Funny thing is last evening when I opened the link I was at work so I could only see it (no sound...hello, I work in a Library!) Anyway, missed the whole effect. Just now, I watched it WITH sound. Now I get it!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

peterm

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 11:44:42 »
its only $572,655.60 at todays xchange rate

Chad

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 19:47:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by A Dalton

This Ebay Listing Fine Toothed Comb Group ???

..Nah... didn't get a view of the firewall pad ..
... anybody???????

Surely they updated the technology for the firewall pad... such as diamond patterned ceramic tile material from the Space Shuttle program.  Six million pesos should buy something.

I thought the video was afunny and a completely senseless thing to make, a tribute - stuff that commands a lot of respect from me in this day and age.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 19:48:49 by Chad »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 22:34:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by cees klumper

It's Mike Haney's car.
That's right, Cees.   I believe he wrecked it in the Panamericana rally in Mexico, doing the big damage seen in this video.

Scroll to the bottom of this page:
http://www.silverstarrestorations.com/other_m_b__racers_.htm

They used an X10 camera and they helped sponsor his efforts:
http://www.x10.com/news/articles/0104_results.htm

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

n/a

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 01:01:06 »
Hi guys...  another pagoda owner sent me an email telling me my video had been found...  interestingly I'd only posted it on Google recently...

to clear up a few questions...

no, it's not close to six-million NEW pesos, but probably exceeds six million OLD pesos...  the damage was from a wreck after returning from the race, the footage showing the spinout caused no significant damage to the car (can't say the same about my racing suit!).  it's the same car in all the pix, she's gone through a LOT of changes over the years...  if anyone wants to see more pix from the race go here:

http://www.goreearchitects.com/misc/LCP/            

the soundtrack is the theme for "the six-million-dollar man" tv series, just in case no one got the joke...

no radio...  funny story behind what you saw though...  a co-worker's daughter had sent along a "guardian angel" clip sorta thing...  I'd just clipped it on the drivers door pocket...  after we spun out and came to a rest with the passenger side hanging in mid-air I noticed the angel was on the side that stayed on the road...  after that I put her front and center over the radio delete palte.   once I got back I told the co-worker the story and returned the angel...  that weekend I had the wreck shown in the still image!  he gave her back and she's still clipped there...  she's got a home for life!    

and yes, that IS the Dalton copper pipe alignment tool...  those sustained turns made tweaking the rear suspension a priority...  aside from polyurethane EVERYWHERE, we had to replace the "donuts" that go from the differential to the right rear framerail with custom made aluminum inserts (rubber coated to cut down on noise)...

and for the record, John Olson rode with our crew in 2002's race...  so he knows this car fairly well...  Hmmm...  I wonder if I can get him to value it for insurance purposes...  ;-)

I'm glad y'all found and enjoyed the clip...  I did it shortly after the wreck...  my car was in the shop and I was bored...

Mike Haney / aka: x4158
Piloto - La Carrera Panamericana 2001/2002/2003
1966 230SL Euro

1966 230SL Euro

n/a

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 01:20:49 »
ah, missed a few points...  

racing part of the clip is spliced from two different days, the first part was actually from the 6th day of the race, the spinout was from the 3rd...  hence the forementioned angel covering the "230SL" insignia over the radio delete plate at first, but then she isn't there when the clip shifts...  they're out of sequence...  ok, so I took a few liberties to make it all sync to the soundtrack...

also, the padding seen at the top of the frame is for the rollcage...  fitting a 6-point halo type cage in a 113 and then having two grown men climb in wearing firesuits, wrist restraints and fullfaced helmets is a bit tight...  so padding is required!!!

suprised no one has picked up that the clock isn't a clock...  it's an auxilary oil pressure gauge for my navigator to keep an eye on...  the "Box" on top of the speaker cover is my readout for the terratrip, the main unit is in the glovebox (door removed) and is used by my navigator...

and the wreck that did the damage was here in Houston...  some moron that didn't look before turning...  I was devestated, but built her back better than before...  raced her two more years and then had ANOTHER wreck with someone ELSE that couldn't see and made a bad choice...  I guess the angel finally ran outta karma...

she'll be back on the road in a few more months...

here's a link to her after her second wreck...  
http://www.goreearchitects.com/230SL/    

she's retired from racing now, but she'll be built back better than before...  better, stronger, faster....  

MH

1966 230SL Euro

A Dalton

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 07:19:04 »
Calling x-4158....

Very coooool..
 Glad to see some out of the box thinking..

A Dalton

Chad

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 15:40:35 »
MH--It was very funny video and a nice surprise when I saw it! I had never seen $6M man.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 15:41:06 by Chad »