Author Topic: In need of hardtop parts  (Read 2910 times)

n/a

In need of hardtop parts
« on: April 12, 2006, 15:16:45 »
I have a 70 280 in need of a hardtop latch (The one at the rear quarter window) Doesn't have to be show, but nice. If you have an extra please reply.

Also does anybody know if the two stainless strips across the top are still available?  (Or of a real nice used set?)

Michael

Douglas

Re: In need of hardtop parts
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 18:23:54 »
Michael,

I believe the hardtop "roof garnishing trim" is still available. I think a 1970 280 SL was fitted with aluminum trim (not the chromed brass type) and I'm guessing that's the one they still sell today.

Also, I understand the left and right handles are not interchangeable, so make sure you get the correct one.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

n/a

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 09:23:40 »
Thanks for the heads up on the latches.  I'm looking for the passanger side.

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 15:35:46 »
I inquired sometime ago after a post on the subject of hardtop locking handles that sit at the right and left  side of the quarter glass windows. As far as I know they are still availible however at a price that makes you quiver. What I donot know is if this encludes the cone bushing and washers and pin. I would ask the classic center. It maight be worth it to put new verious old handles in your hard top if they are complete assemblies.
The roof trim changed in 1969 to alluminum alloy instead of brass steel chrome. I know you would have to ttake the headliner out to put these on they are bolted from the factory for the luggage rack and ski racks. I know there are clips that help attach the strips on the roof. If it is purely cosmetic then you will not need to bolt the strips down.

Bob Geco
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 15:39:30 by Bob G »

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 18:06:10 »
If memory serves, the latches are something like $550 each new and, as Bob rightly points out, are still available new.

I've heard it's possible to cheat and add the roof trim without complete disassembly of the hardtop, but that's not from any personal experience.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA