Author Topic: Sharing Tools  (Read 5123 times)

n/a

Sharing Tools
« on: March 18, 2004, 07:20:29 »
Okay, since I'm obviously not busy enough swapping rear ends and replacing heater levers, I thought I'd start a new thread.

I think it's safe to assume most of us are Pagoda owners in for the long haul. Many of us have been accumulating tools we will seldom use, but really need when the time comes. It sure would be neat if we could work out some sort of lend-a-tool program for vetted members. Maybe you'd have to be a member for a certain length of time, or perhaps we could deposit $100 in a replacement fund in case there are deadbeats. Alternatively, donating tools to the bank might be the equivalent to putting in cash. I dunno. Of course, this would require the headache of administration, at least of the moola part.

I eagerly await your responses/guffaws.

John

John Livingston
Newport News, VA
1968 280SL 4 speed manual

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Sharing Tools
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 12:00:17 »
John,

Hi.  When we originally formed the Group we discussed tool rental, swapping, borrowing, or what ever you want to call it.  We thought it would be a great line item on the "benefits of membership" list, but we couldn't come up with a simple way to manage it.  That was only a handful of people brainstorming on it.  Perhaps with the whole group thinking about it and reflecting on their collective years of experience in car clubs, we could actually make some simple and effective way to do this.

Thanks,

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 13:59:49 »
How about a database of available tools with the relevant contact info (name, email address, physical location etc) - then a member who would like to borrow the tool can contact the owner directly and they can work out the details between them. A deposit could for example be required, refundable less the postage expenses upon return of the item.
For example - I now own a CO meter, by Gunson (Gastester Professional) and would be willing to lend it out to another member for, say, a period of a week, so the other member can experiment with it. So I would require a deposit equalling the value of the apparatus, would mail it out and, when it comes back after the week, I would refund the deposit less my postage expense. We could agree on a 'late charge' in case the other member would want to / have to keep it longer than one week.
This way no one else needs to become involved to intermediate which keeps it simple. Just my 2 cents.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

norton

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 15:20:04 »
I have some sort of suspension tool I got off ebay, MB part # 110 589 05 21 00 I bought 2, I would be willing to donate 1 of them to the cause. if somebody could tell me what it's for.

psmith

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 23:56:48 »
I found this topic on a search and thought I'd bump it back up.  I like the idea of sharing some speciality tools.  I hate buying tools that you use only once or twice.  Maybe if it was done in regions it would keep postage down, and you could go reclaim your tool if it went missing too long.  

Another idea would be that we agree on a set price for a specific used tool and then we could buy and sell them through the forums for the same price.  Maybe we can start by listing what we have/need in this thread.  The hubcap paint stencil comes to mind.  I would be interested in a seperator for the tie rods and steering drop arms.

What else?

Pete S.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 19:21:13 »
You can really make it easy by using Paypal to send/return each other the deposits.  It's just an email away and automatically debits your bank account.  It couldn't be easier.

www.paypal.com

1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 17:37:45 »
I got a hold of a book on Mercedes-Benz Speciality tools. If that can help any it does have pictures and part numbers and the different sections are for engine, transmission suspension & body.

Bob Geco

norton

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 09:16:21 »
Hey Bob can  you check your tool book for MB part # 110 589 05 21 00
The guy I got it from said it is for suspension.  Thanks

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 10:22:01 »
I contacted some of my expert friends on this tool 110 589 -5 2100. first of all the word Vorrichtung in English means device what kind no clue. Second We suspect it is some sort of alignment tool to measure caster and camber. Crude by todays standards with all sophisticated /computer alignment machines.
I could not fine a cross reference of the part number the tool may be incomplete.
Perhaps it may be worth a try to send a letter to Daimler/Chysler with pictures of this tool. I would be intrested to fine out more and how it works. Also perhaps Joe Alexander might now or be able to figure it out.
This one is a real stumper.
Good luck
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 10:24:29 by Bob G »

norton

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 13:55:46 »
Thanks for trying Bob, I gave the twin to the tool I have to Joe at the Blacklick Tech Session last year, at the time Joe thought it might have something to do with the engine/valve train. Here's some photo's

Download Attachment: DSC00138.JPG
59.97 KB

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 15:18:42 »
Is this the idea you're looking for in tool rental or exchange?

http://mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=126728

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

psmith

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 23:32:51 »
That's exactly what I was thinking.  Do you think we could do it ourselves, or would it be easier to join them?

Pete S.