Author Topic: does the pagoda have other names?  (Read 3681 times)

joelj

does the pagoda have other names?
« on: April 17, 2006, 18:55:37 »
Hi Group,

I was just wondering if the Pagoda has other names other than the W113. Here in the Philippines, other than the names mentioned above, it is more commonly known as  Mr. Slim. I believe it gets its name from a commercial way back in the early 70's featuring a pagoda racing another car and the pagoda wins. The winner gets out of the car and smokes a cigarette called "Mr. Slim" Throughout the decades the moniker has stuck.

There is a running joke between us pagoda owners here in Manila...we all need to lose weight to do justice to the name..."Mr. Slim". My friend said, "its ok. losing wieght is just to difficult...I'll just call mine Mr. Fat...hahaha.

Just a little bit of trivia :)

cheers

Joel-j

Douglas

Re: does the pagoda have other names?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 20:15:03 »
Joel,

I'd heard the "Mr. Slim" name before and the story behind it. Perhaps someone on this site recounted that earlier.

I've never heard of any other nicknames for the Pagoda. In fact, it's interesting to note that the name "Pagoda" was not widely known in the US until the last couple of years. Before then, it was almost purely a European nickname, but for reasons we can only guess -- perhaps even the growth of this group -- it has now caught on in the US too.

When we were debating the name of this group a couple of years ago, there was a camp that was opposed to using "W 113" in our name because it was too technical-sounding and there was a feeling that our cars deserve to have a universally-accepted nickname like "Gullwing" or "Adenauer." We've since dropped the "W 113" in the group's name and many people now know what a "Pagoda" is. I believe that's called progress.

I'm guessing it might be a few more years before the group is re-named the "Mr. Slim Group."  :-)

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 20:34:23 »
While trying to get my air conditioner bracket off the first time, I came up with quite a few names to call the car.  :oops:

I'm better now and the knuckles have healed nicely.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 12:56:13 »
My father used to swear when working on his 280SL and his 1974 450SLC, but I was too young to remember. I only know is personal book keeper said he used to use frightfull words when he got the repair bill from Hollywood Mercedes-Benz. But look at the good side he left me the car so I can screw it up and learn to say things I do not mean.
I am glad I joined this forum good therphy.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 12:58:00 by Bob G »