Author Topic: Windshield Chrome  (Read 3003 times)

n/a

Windshield Chrome
« on: April 22, 2006, 22:44:39 »
Hey Guys;
Anyone know where one can obtain the chrome trim that covers the rubber seal around the windshield? Mine cosmetically looks terrible and I would like to replace it...while I'm at it, I should replace the rubber seal as well...maybe the windshield as it is pitted...
Appreciate any advice on possible sources and prices. I suspect a windshield is real pricey on these cars.
Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Joe Bango
 :)

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
Re: Windshield Chrome
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 05:38:21 »
Joe, I replaced mine last year.   Hated to, but the old pitted glass was a hazard on a sunny day.   Since mine is a driver, I replaced it with PPG glass which is not pricey - Wow! what a difference.   I got all the parts from Miller's (including the trim which I don't believe is chrome, glass and seals) for about $750 and had them shipped directly to my local glass installer who did the work for $240.  

If you choose to get the original Sekrit stamped glass, it will cost a fortune.   I believe Miller's can get it, but they indicated the cost would be in the $thousands.

Good luck...hope that answers your question.
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

n/a

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 12:38:14 »
Dear Chris,
Thanks, good info. I try that route. Do I just inform the local glass installer to source PPG or do you have a P/N or contact info? Many thanks for the recommendation.
Regards,
Joe

n/a

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 12:40:40 »
Dear Chris,
Belay my last...I had a senior moment...you mentioned you got everything from Miller's...thanks. Mine is a driver too, and the pitting on my windshield must be original...a new one will be great.
R/
Joe

Markus

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 13:43:42 »
Just replaced the glass about 4 weeks ago with PPG about 235.00 , aluminum trim about 140.00 a piece. Would recommend you use an original rubber seal though since they fit better. I purchased all of my stuff from Will Samples at S & S Imports.  Cannot recommend having PPG install it though, since the installer mauled the trim so badly that it had to be replaced. I ended up installing the window myself with the help of a friend.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 17:54:33 »
Joe, there is a vendor on eBay who frequently sells PPG windshields for $185, and Andover, MA may be close enough for you to pick one up. he still had 3 left in this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8057012425&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)