Author Topic: Climate Control Levers - Metal Spring Clip?  (Read 3631 times)

bpossel

Climate Control Levers - Metal Spring Clip?
« on: April 11, 2005, 17:24:00 »
Hi All,

I had to do the dreaded procedure of removing the entire climate control lever mechanism.  I was able to get it out and back in, but one thing I was not able to put back on were the 4 spring clips that hold the cables in place...

Help!  How do these clips go on?  Do they slide over the outside of the climate housing?  Or do they slide into the slot which holds the cable...  I have tried both ways, with no luck.  I do not recall how they were attached?  Any hints?

Thanks for any and all help!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 18:44:28 by bpossel »

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Climate Control Levers - Metal Spring Clip?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 21:44:02 »
Hello Bob,
These clips slide over the casting where the knurled cable adjuster band fits into the housing. The clips slid on from the side and keep the cable from popping out of the housing. Make sure the cables are adjusted to give full range of travel before locking in place with the clips.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 05:56:17 »
Hi Joe,

Thanks for you reply!

I really pushed hard with my thumb trying to snap these clips back on, but no luck.  Is there a special tool for this?  Is there a trick to get these snapped on?  How is this done with the entire unit back in the car and with such small, cramped space?  Either they used small people when they built these cars or maybe a special tool, special procedure?  I also wonder if they had the cables already attached to the unit, slid it into the car through the firewall and then attached the ends to the otherside?

Thanks, Joe,
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by ja17

Hello Bob,
These clips slide over the casting where the knurled cable adjuster band fits into the housing. The clips slid on from the side and keep the cable from popping out of the housing. Make sure the cables are adjusted to give full range of travel before locking in place with the clips.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

jeffc280sl

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 06:07:28 »
Hi Bob,

The clips slide on to the bracket horizontally very near the end of the cable.  One side (top) has a small locking protrusion which sticks out on the inside of the clip.  First pushe the cable into the bracket slot.  Next slide the locking U clip on to the bracket with the clip side on top.  The bracket is is designed with a raised grooves on each side of the clip to keep it in place.  Try to do it on the top left cable first.  You can see thye bracket, cable and grooves through the speaker opening.  Once you do one the others will be easy.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 11:25:46 »
Hi Jeff,

I will try this again...  not sure why I couldnt get these clips to "snap" back on the bracket?

Is there a "formal" procedure for removing the climate bracket and levers?  What I am looking for is not the part about removing the glove box, radio, clock, cig lighter, center speaker grill and speaker, chrome trim around levers, but rather how to correctly remove and re-install the climate mechanism.  To summarize how I removed it was to disconnect the lower right cable, then the lower left, then the top right, then the top left.  Installation was the reverse.  Is this the correct (easy) way to do this?  There must have been a process that would have made this somewhat easier.  As I was removing and re-installing, I was so worried about bending one of the cables, or breaking the plastic rings or center bulb housings...

Thanks for any advice on this!
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Lax882@aol.com

Hi Bob,

The clips slide on to the bracket horizontally very near the end of the cable.  One side (top) has a small locking protrusion which sticks out on the inside of the clip.  First pushe the cable into the bracket slot.  Next slide the locking U clip on to the bracket with the clip side on top.  The bracket is is designed with a raised grooves on each side of the clip to keep it in place.  Try to do it on the top left cable first.  You can see thye bracket, cable and grooves through the speaker opening.  Once you do one the others will be easy.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 11:26:33 by bpossel »

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 21:53:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel
... I will try this again...  not sure why I couldnt get these clips to "snap" back on the bracket?

Hi Bob,
by now you have probably figured out how the clips snap on but just in case here is a picture that may help.
Download Attachment: LeverCable.jpg
65.87 KB

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

bpossel

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 06:13:21 »
Hi Alfred,

Thanks!  Great pic.  Should help others who are "clip" challenged, as I was.  I was originally trying to force the clip on from the top, vs the side.  Nice pic, thanks again!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320