Author Topic: Urgent question  (Read 2748 times)

iceberg

Urgent question
« on: May 23, 2006, 23:47:11 »
Hey guys,
I have a 2000 CLK 320.  While driving the steering resonates subtly.  Its so subtle yet its there.  Its kinda annoying.  The dealership changed the steering column and the drive shaft, but its still there.  Guys, please tell me what it is?  Give me a few trouble shooting pointer so I can go back to Dealership and see if they can fix it.
Thanks all,
H
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 23:48:55 by iceberg »

RickInTex

Re: Urgent question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 06:20:00 »
Could be either wheels out of balance or a slightly bent rim in the front, perhaps?

Rick
Dallas TX
1967 250SL, 4-speed

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 08:12:29 »
Rick thats what came to my mind first but i would be amazed if MB did'nt check this first.  
Here are a few more things that can cause vibration
bent rotor
brake pad damping shim missing
brake pad out of alignment
cracked bushings

Kay

Kay
Euro 280sl LHD Auto.

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 08:12:46 »
I had the same on an SLK, noticable at speeds in excess of 60mph.

It was the front wheel balancing after a new pair of tyres were fitted. I took them back to the shop where they were re balanced. That did not fully cure it.

Only when I bought new tyres from another vendor did the problem go away entirely.

Regards, Paulo

peterm

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 11:12:44 »
This was a common problem on the cayenne.  Many of us discovered that tires could only be balanced on the Hunter "Road force" balance machine which cured the problem in almost all cases.  Some rim tiire combinations are sensitive to the weight change that occurs with compression of the vehicle hence road force balancing requirerd

iceberg

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 14:07:55 »
Hey Guys,
Thank you all so much...will try all these things out ASAP... Hey KD hope you are well.  Let touch base soon.
Thanks again for everything,
H