Author Topic: Need power steering repair assistance  (Read 2959 times)

ewenke

Need power steering repair assistance
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:00:27 »
I have a power steering box that is leaking like a sieve.  I bought a repair kit with all the seals to do the repair job.

I have foolishly started taking apart my power steering box to rebuild it without any documentation (eternal optimist).   I am stuck and need a parts blowup diagram and or a set of directions on how to dissasemble (probably to late) and assemble a power steering box.

Thank you,   Everett

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
Re: Need power steering repair assistance
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 19:03:38 »
Everett,
  My power steering box was leaking from the top "O" ring. I was able to loosen the cap, change the "O" ring and tighten it back up without removing it form the car. It sounds like this advise might be too little to late. If you are looking for documentation I would suggest the Big Blue Book, BBB. It is the factory repair manual. I would suggest that you can purchase the cd-rom version of the book from the MB Classic Center.
Good luck,
Ted

knirk

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 05:05:08 »
If you can,t wait for better documentation, you may be able to use the parts drawing in this link: (46d)

http://www.sls-hh-catalogue.de/bin/dbframes.phtml?mid=IN02

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

ewenke

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 10:41:27 »
Ted,   Thanks for the advice,  I do have the BBB, but it only shows how to take the power steering box out of the car,  not how to repair it.   The Web site that Per suggested does have a blow up, but the print is so small and  light it is not very usable.  I have been contaced by another member who has a blow up he offered to send to me.  Thanks for the reply,  Everett

quote:
Originally posted by ted280sl

Everett,
  My power steering box was leaking from the top "O" ring. I was able to loosen the cap, change the "O" ring and tighten it back up without removing it form the car. It sounds like this advise might be too little to late. If you are looking for documentation I would suggest the Big Blue Book, BBB. It is the factory repair manual. I would suggest that you can purchase the cd-rom version of the book from the MB Classic Center.
Good luck,
Ted