Author Topic: loose window's in both my doors...  (Read 4061 times)

n/a

loose window's in both my doors...
« on: May 19, 2006, 04:09:54 »
both sliding windows in my drivers' and passenger door are quite loose, if I shut my doors the window moves outward and inward. I haven't removed the inside doorpanels yet, but before I do I would like to hear some tricks (not on removing the panel) on how to tighten my sliding windows..

thanks in advance,
Mark

230 sl 2.8 - 1966
ex 400 SEL 1993
ex 450 SEL 1974
ex 230.6 1966
ex 230.6 1974
ex 280S 1969

Douglas

Re: loose window's in both my doors...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 04:57:25 »
Mark,

You'll need to remove the panels and renew the guide jaw felt at the base of the windows. It wears out over time. Run a search on this site on "guide jaws" or "loose windows" or "window play".... you'll eventually see this is a common restoration issue.

Let us know of your progress.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 11:52:04 »
Mark,
It is highly likely that the jaw guides that hold onto the bottom of the glass inside the door have slipped off the glass.
You will have to remove the door panels to look inside.  Bet you will find the funny pieces of metal on the bottom of the door.  These are the jaws that hold onto the glass.   Be sure to install them correctly with a new piece of felt and some strong adhesive glut to the glass joint.  The other groove is for the metal channel that supports the glass as it moves up and down.  Clean and lube this channel groove and channel itself for smooth operation.  Careful to loosen any of the bolts and screws as you might loose the proper alignment of the glass.
If you have problems, I can send you via mail the instructions for the alignment of the glass.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 14:03:14 »
Mark,
  In addition to fixing the windows you should also consider changing the the felt wipers at the top of the door while you have everything out. I would also make sure that there is a piece of plastic behind the inside door cover before you put it back together. A sheet of platic should be there to keep water from damaging the inside door cover.
Regards,
Ted 1969 280SL

Mike

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 15:54:23 »
While you are at it, I suggest that you get rid of the metal jaw things as they are a real pain  even under the best of circumstances.  In their place you can buy the felt channel that you insert in the tracks.  This obviates the need for the metal jaws.

Michael L. Hund

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 16:25:14 »
Mike,
I thought of that too, but the base of the glass that goes into the 'channel' is too short to fully support the glass.  It's okay on the sedans that have straight up and down sides that the channel can hold onto.
But the SL's they slide up and down at an angle.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas

jaxxonia

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Woodland Hills
  • pagodaride@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 16:42:10 »
Mark,
As Mike mentioned, the original system of "guide jaws" is a bit difficult to maintain. I recently re-conditioned both doors/windows on my 280 SL. On the passenger door, the original guide jaw system was in good shape, but on the driver's door (which gets the most use) the guide jaw system needed alot of work. At the suggestion of Ray Paul at Bud's Benz, I tried his "felt channel" system. This has the advantage of no maintenence, less adjustment, lower weight and probably less cost. Not only did the conversion go very easily, but the window works better than ever. No rattles, very good alignment, and the secure feeling that I will probably never have to mess with it again. I believe, as does Ray Paul, that this is an improvement over the original system. Even if you show your Pagoda at a Concourse event,this is one non-original item that no judge will ever know about. Give Ray Paul a call. He'll be happy to descibe the system to you.

n/a

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 02:23:41 »
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I will try to do this over the next few week, and let you know.

Thanks again,

Mark

230 sl 2.8 - 1966
ex 400 SEL 1993
ex 450 SEL 1974
ex 230.6 1966
ex 230.6 1974
ex 280S 1969