Author Topic: Dumb Question #1  (Read 3325 times)

n/a

Dumb Question #1
« on: May 30, 2006, 21:16:45 »
Hello all.  I am pleased to announce the car and I have been driving well for over three weeks now!!  I was cleaning the carpet and lifted up the wood behind the passanger seat--It would be wear the person sitting in the jump seat would put his feet.  Under the carpet there is a gasket kind of thing --metal held down with screws.  Since the last time I visited I have been busy buying books.  I have the spare parts book and found one repair manual.  I have to finish paying for the car before I can buy the big blue book.  On the spare parts book there is a page that says lineing and covering and it looks like it is part 14 or 15...it just doesn't tell me what it is.  Why am I asking?  It and the surrounding area have a lot of rust around it.  

Thanks for the info.

Marti

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Dumb Question #1
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 22:08:54 »
Hi Marti. Glad to hear the car has taken a liking to its new owner. They are sure fun (especially the 1963s!)...sorry had to say that  ;)  

As for that metal thing-a-majig. If it is round and maybe about 4 inches in diameter, I know what you are refering to. Mine has this --and out of curiosity, I once removed the screws and had a look. It basically opens up a hole to the ground! I imagine it is for access to something underneath -- but I have no clue what. As for lots of rust around it, that is a fairly common place for rust I think, as lots of water can accumulate there. I have no real rust to speak of there -- but mine has a small hole in the lower-most corner that may let water drain out. It could be by design or maybe just mother nature...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 22:38:00 »
Sounds like the mother in law plunger hole. Don't touch that red botton inside the shift knob unless you have a back seat drive you want to flush out of your car.
No I have no idea what that is .I have a kinder seat also but not a round plate under the board you take out to allow the well to be used for your feet.That might of been added later however I have never seen even a 230SL with that plate. That area the foot well is supposed to be carpeted.

Bob Geco
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 22:39:51 by Bob G »

psmith

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 00:40:51 »
Hi Marti

A few years ago I bought a reproduction of the BBB for about $70 and the pictures are so dark they're almost unreadable.  So I recently bought the CD from the Classic center for $20 and the pictures are much better, and you can print out the section you need and take it to the garage.  However, as I found out, don't expect it to contain everything about our cars, it covers all Mercedes from 59-67 so some things about our cars are left out...

Pete S.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 05:11:59 »
I think Bob G is right

quote:
Sounds like the mother in law plunger hole

Download Attachment: 06Esn084.JPG
21.01 KB

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 08:49:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bob G

...That might of been added later however I have never seen even a 230SL with that plate. That area the foot well is supposed to be carpeted.

Bob Geco

The plate actually resides under the carpeted board inserts. As Naj's pic shows, it is directly on the body floor. Not surprising, mine is on the other side than Naj's RHD.

James
63 230SL
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 08:49:55 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

Vince Canepa

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 10:02:38 »
The round plate should be on both sides.  There is a ring shaped seal between it and the body (the seal dimensions should be obvious when looking at the depressions in the plate).  The seal is no longer available from M-B but can be made easily from closed cell foam.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 14:23:05 »
Well, I'll be. Yes, have them on both sides... Any idea what purpose they serve? Also, is there supposed to be a drainage hole in the corner of the cavity? (or is it a "cavity" in the cavity?)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Mike

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 16:48:08 »
I'm not sure what these holes are for but it it must have something to do with access.  What I find to be more mysterious are the drain holes that are adjacent to these four inch access plates that are being discussed in this thread.  The drain holes are at the highest place possible, rendering them completely useless.  There is a low area here where misture can gather and the perfect place for a drain hole.  There were none there on my car so I drilled some and have had no problems with moisture since.

Michael L. Hund