Author Topic: motor mounts on 1964 230sl with a sedan engine  (Read 2938 times)

Ed Fisher

motor mounts on 1964 230sl with a sedan engine
« on: June 05, 2006, 14:12:54 »
Well the motor mounts are in, as well as the transmission mount (which came out in 6 pieces).  The job was a bear since the engine support arms had to be replaced as well.  That is why I am posting.  Had Gernold at SL Tech not warned me to look at the support arms I would not have known to check the part numbers and found that they were the incorrect parts that stayed with the motor out of a sedan.  Fresh mounts would have only made the engine sit higher and made a mess.  Thanks Gernold, for the wisdom and the correct parts.  The difference is very subtle.  Anyone not sure of their engine origin and looking to change motor mounts should get in touch with Gernold.  All parts genuine Mercedes and top quality.

Thank goodness, my son was home from college as the blind nuts on the other end of bolts would not have been possible alone.  We joked that it was a good “father/son” exercise as we scrubbed our forearms raw with orange degreaser.  Truly though, it was a bonding experience as we grunted and swore together.  Having the right parts made it a successful endeavor.  The car is truly better behaved as a result (once I adjust the fan shroud down a little to quiet the din), and the “test drive” was a shared moment with my son that I will cherish forever.  He actually said it was fun later that night when I thanked him for hanging in there with me through the whole ordeal.  One of his friends showed up at one point for a couple of hours and ended up under the car with us, before he had to leave for a bible study.  I think kids still like working on stuff just as much as we did when young; they just need a place to do it and a little guidance/support.  I told my son that he need not fear anything after doing mounts and support arms on a 40-year old German automobile.  He said he might be up for sub-frame bushings after we are both done with classes this summer, before fall semester starts.  I shake my head with wonder and know that I am a blessed man.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: motor mounts on 1964 230sl with a sedan engine
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 14:33:45 »
Personally, I see a nice college graduation gift in the making. Nice story, Ed.

Although my experience was not a bonding, but rather a parting of the wallet, once I replaced my subframe mounts, shocks, and engine mounts, my car has handled wonderfully. Have fun!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: motor mounts on 1964 230sl with a sedan engine
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 20:43:02 »
Hello Ed,
Yes the engine valve cover would have put a nice inside out dent in the hood the first time you hit a good bump in the road, if you had not changed those sedan engine supports.
Happy Motoring!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430