Author Topic: Help Replacing my Heater heat exchanger  (Read 18118 times)

dendrinos

Re: Help Replacing my Heater heat exchanger
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2007, 21:25:03 »
An Update..

I thought i would let you all know how it is going so far. I have just removed the old heater core. It was not as bad to get out of there as i figured. Hans was dead on however when he indicated there would ultimatly be other problems. When i began to remove the core it became evidant that the brackets on both sides of the old core had broken off, and the core was only being held inplace by the inlet and outlet tubes. As well there was a small leek that had been driping coolent into the heater fan box.

I am very glad i got the thing out of there.  Over the next several days i'll be reassembling the new parts. Damm thing will be all new by the time i am done.

P

quote:
Originally posted by hkollan

Hi all,

If this problem is "solved" by merely removing the loose piece,
sooner or later the welding on the tube(s) from the heater core going through the firewall will break off.

Hans

'71 '70 '68 280 SL

280 Sl
Michigan, USA

jeffc280sl

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 06:56:24 »
While your in that area I recommend you clean and lubricate the wiper spindles.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

dendrinos

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 07:03:46 »
Thanks for the advice. I had planned to look at other things, but the wiper assembly didnt cross my mind, i'll add it to the list.

The more i dig, the more i find!

What would you lubricate the unions of those wiper spindles with. And for that matter what exactly do you mean by spindles? The connecting joints? the drive rod comming from the wiper motor?

P

quote:
Originally posted by jeffc280sl

While your in that area I recommend you clean and lubricate the wiper spindles.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

280 Sl
Michigan, USA

jeffc280sl

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 08:05:43 »
Here is a pic to give you some help.  The wiper blade shaft will bind over time with excessive use and without lubrication.  If I remeber correctly there is a c clip which holds the shaft in place.  It can be accessed by removing the wiper arm.  Once the clip is removed the wiper shaft can be removed from the underside of the dash, cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled.  The job is easy to do and a nightmare if your wipers seize.  You already know how much work is needed to get to this area.

Download Attachment: spindle.jpg
24.3 KB

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

dendrinos

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 10:01:37 »
Thank You, that helps a lot. I'll get at it this week i hope.

P

quote:

Here is a pic to give you some help.  The wiper blade shaft will bind over time with excessive use and without lubrication.  If I remeber correctly there is a c clip which holds the shaft in place.  It can be accessed by removing the wiper arm.  Once the clip is removed the wiper shaft can be removed from the underside of the dash, cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled.  The job is easy to do and a nightmare if your wipers seize.  You already know how much work is needed to get to this area.

Download Attachment: spindle.jpg
24.3 KB

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

280 Sl
Michigan, USA

dendrinos

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 13:05:25 »
Yet another question, how are the side vents removed? These are the rotatable vents near the doors on each side.

I see a bolt or two on the duct work in the back, but there appears to be one on the inside of the duct directly above the louvers. Do i need to remove that? and if so how?
P

280 Sl
Michigan, USA

jeffc280sl

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 13:18:03 »
The side vents have two or three pins on the back side which fit into friction fittings in the dashboard.  Be very carefull removing them because you can snap off the pins.  Do a search and you can probably find more info.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

dendrinos

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2007, 05:19:56 »
One of these pins seems to be corroded or otherwise stuck into the friction fitting. it will not release.

quote:

The side vents have two or three pins on the back side which fit into friction fittings in the dashboard.  Be very carefull removing them because you can snap off the pins.  Do a search and you can probably find more info.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

280 Sl
Michigan, USA

jeffc280sl

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2007, 06:33:16 »
Sorry to hear about the stuck pin.  The only thing I can suggest is to wiggle the vent and try to gently pry it free from the dash.  Maybe someone else on this site can help with a suggestion.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

dendrinos

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 09:12:46 »
I tried WD40, a gentle amount of heat, and incessant prying. All to no avail. I'm off to the hardware store to get some PB Blaster, perhaps that will work better.

P

quote:

Sorry to hear about the stuck pin.  The only thing I can suggest is to wiggle the vent and try to gently pry it free from the dash.  Maybe someone else on this site can help with a suggestion.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

280 Sl
Michigan, USA

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 10:06:18 »
The PB Blaster is not going to do you any good on this job.
I just removed my chrome vents in the past week, so it is fresh in my mind. I agree it is a pain to remove them. They were mounted using a method that makes them easy to put in place but difficult to remove without breaking something. First, each is held by two pins, and these pins pass through circular clips that snap into the holes in the dash metal. (If you are familiar with the "Chinese finger trap", it works like that.) In addition to the pins, a small part on the bottom overhangs, thus clipping the vent piece to the dash metal. Be careful prising off the chrome pieces, as that can break the posts and scratch and bend the dash metal.
What worked for me was to use a hammer and gently tap outwards on the backs of the pins. Of course, my dash is all disassembled for painting, so I had room to manouever the hammer. I put some small visegrips on the springy clips and tried to wiggle them off but that didn't work. What worked was the hammer, and I ended up not breaking any pins.
Once the chrome part is pretty loose, you can prise it the rest of the way off, from the front, with a screwdriver, being careful to only prise near the pins. If you are not going to paint your dash, you should protect the paint.
Now, I was unable to get the left chrome piece out because the dash padding overhung it. I had to remove this smallish dash piece. It is held in place with three screws. Two are exposed, and are very close to the windshield rubber. The third is hidden below and to the left under a piece of dash vinyl that is glued on. It may be that you can simply unscrew this screw and then bend the dash piece upwards enough to remove the chrome piece.
There is a box that carries air to each vent, and the box is affixed with two screws, exposed underneath and visible once you are uncomfortably on your back on the floor of the car. You must remove these boxes in order to reach the pins. Also, the black lever that opens or blocks air through the vents is connected to a flap in the box, and comes out with the box. I had to violently twist the left box in order to turn the lever 90 degrees so as to slip it through the slot in the chrome piece. Thankfully, nothing broke.
After you get the pins out of their clips, you need to slightly raise the vent piece to get the overhanging clip off the dash metal.
I think if you do a search on this site, you will find a picture somewhere of what I am talking about.
I think I will cut threads on the pins and remount them with nuts. I generally end up doing things twice (or thrice), and this will help the next time.
I hope this makes sense to you.
Joe
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 10:25:01 by Joe »

dendrinos

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 21:49:31 »
Yes it does joe, thanks. I have spent more time on the side vents than on the removal of the rest of the dash and heater core. That turned out to be a relatively straight forward process after discovering how to remove the bottom blower bracket.

I believe someone said this was not for the faint of heart. i believe that to be a true statement.

The new core is back in, and the blower housing has been cleaned, re-foamed, and reinstalled. the wipers have been well and truly lubricated. the hood fresh air vent has been re-rubber sealed, a new filter and new dampers installed, and the whole lot reassembled.   Perhaps tomorrow i'll get the rest of the dash reassembled with the new levers and bulbs, new lighter and refinished wood.

It's been a long day on my back.

P

quote:
Originally posted by Joe

The PB Blaster is not going to do you any good on this job.
I just removed my chrome vents in the past week, so it is fresh in my mind. I agree it is a pain to remove them. They were mounted using a method that makes them easy to put in place but difficult to remove without breaking something. First, each is held by two pins, and these pins pass through circular clips that snap into the holes in the dash metal. (If you are familiar with the "Chinese finger trap", it works like that.) In addition to the pins, a small part on the bottom overhangs, thus clipping the vent piece to the dash metal. Be careful prising off the chrome pieces, as that can break the posts and scratch and bend the dash metal.
What worked for me was to use a hammer and gently tap outwards on the backs of the pins. Of course, my dash is all disassembled for painting, so I had room to manouever the hammer. I put some small visegrips on the springy clips and tried to wiggle them off but that didn't work. What worked was the hammer, and I ended up not breaking any pins.
Once the chrome part is pretty loose, you can prise it the rest of the way off, from the front, with a screwdriver, being careful to only prise near the pins. If you are not going to paint your dash, you should protect the paint.
Now, I was unable to get the left chrome piece out because the dash padding overhung it. I had to remove this smallish dash piece. It is held in place with three screws. Two are exposed, and are very close to the windshield rubber. The third is hidden below and to the left under a piece of dash vinyl that is glued on. It may be that you can simply unscrew this screw and then bend the dash piece upwards enough to remove the chrome piece.
There is a box that carries air to each vent, and the box is affixed with two screws, exposed underneath and visible once you are uncomfortably on your back on the floor of the car. You must remove these boxes in order to reach the pins. Also, the black lever that opens or blocks air through the vents is connected to a flap in the box, and comes out with the box. I had to violently twist the left box in order to turn the lever 90 degrees so as to slip it through the slot in the chrome piece. Thankfully, nothing broke.
After you get the pins out of their clips, you need to slightly raise the vent piece to get the overhanging clip off the dash metal.
I think if you do a search on this site, you will find a picture somewhere of what I am talking about.
I think I will cut threads on the pins and remount them with nuts. I generally end up doing things twice (or thrice), and this will help the next time.
I hope this makes sense to you.
Joe

280 Sl
Michigan, USA