Author Topic: europe pagoda sightings  (Read 2426 times)

peterm

europe pagoda sightings
« on: September 01, 2006, 07:51:54 »
Just back from a week travelling from Monte Carlo to Zurich with a few days in Lugano.  Saw two pagodas both in lugano,  one light blue the other creme white. Very fine examples and fit in the environment perfectly!

On another note the sheer volume of exotic cars in Monaco was overwhelming,  ferraris were endemic from scagleitti's to 430's to an f40,  gallardos and murcieglos in a variety of colors, astons well represented with db9's and vantages as common as minis, rolls royce phaetons, bentley sedans were de rigeur.  One morning I walked out of the hotel lobby to see 4 bentley cont gts strewn at the entrance like they were nothing,  there was a new tvr that attracted much attention and a particularly nice vintage silver open top 300 mercedes sportscar.  What struck me most about all these cars  is that they were all treated quite poorly,  most in need of a good detail and parked in door ding distance from each other with the crowd of tourists sitting on fenders for pictures or dripping their gelato as they studied the interior.  I do think think the pagoda would have gotten a prime valet space, they're much more special than those other cars!

KevinC

Re: europe pagoda sightings
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 10:41:21 »
Peter,

Sounds like here although a much more exotic locale there. Still at dinner the other night, in the parking lot: a Murcielogo, 2 Rolls Phaetons an F40 and FOUR Continental GT's in the parking lot. What did the keep in the front spot all night? The 113. Gotta love it!

Kevin

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

AGT

• Senior
  • Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 11:08:05 »
Peter

Good insights into Monaco.

Did you find the "under the arches" type Ferrari dealership tucked in the side street? It must have the highest sales per square foot of any car dealership in the world.

Most of these Monaco exotics are not cherished, many with kerbed alloys and covered in that sticky South of France dust. After a while I get fed up with the exotics and I agree that a Pagoda would turn more heads. There is at least one top notch Pagoda in Monaco which belongs to David Coulthard the Formula 1 driver and which was restored for him by the factory.

The harbour is much the same and the biggest crowds are round the one or two wonderful and elegant sail boats, not the motor cruisers with helipads. My son (who is 14) does not agree with me. He loves Monaco's modern exotic cars and enormous motor cruisers. However, he has recently been caught briefing against my SLs "...if dad sold all his old cars he could buy one decent car..". Guess who will be learning to drive in a Daewoo Matiz?

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

1966 230SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 12:04:34 »
Chances are I saw that cream one last year when I was in Lugano!

On the same trip we visited Monaco and yep, I think Audrey turned more heads than some of the more modern metal. Odd, isn't it? (Nice though) 8)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 13:12:55 »
Did see a bright red 280SL parked at the Athens (Greece) airport parking lot a few years ago.  What a welcome sight after a long flight from the USA.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas-nearly gone