Author Topic: Overheating (and other issues) addressed  (Read 3611 times)

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
Overheating (and other issues) addressed
« on: September 01, 2006, 14:38:33 »
As I have mentioned in a few prior posts, I have had cooling/overheating problems with my 71 280Sl since I purchased it, The hot humid DC summers have been no match for the car's cooling system.  I checked all of the typical problem spots to no avail. I resigned myself to driving with the heat on all summer and no going out if the temp rised above 85.

Finally I smartened up and sent the car up to Gernold at SL-Tech.  I just got the car back and am happy to report that I can finally enjoy it in hot weather.

Prior to the repairs the temp needle would rise immediately at every red light if the ambient temp was above 80 degrees.  (that was with the heat on).

Gernold went through the entire car and replaced fixed or repaired anything that was not right including the cooling system. (what a difference having an expert look at it).  Anyway, he was able to dramtically improve the cooling issues with a new radiator, water pump, fan, temp gauge, and he also repositioined the sensor in the head to get a more accurate reading.

In addition he installed an upgraded and modified AC system (which was taken out of the car years ago).  So now not only do I have a cooler running engine, I can drive with AC instead of heat!

In addition to the heating system, he went through the car front to back and addressed a number of other issues, sqeaks, rattles, etc and sorted out a number of prior repairs that were done elsewhere weren't quite right.  The car has never run better plus I have peace of mind knowing that everything that was done was done right.

Let me add my voice to those others who have praised Gernold's creativity and workmanship.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

Abbas

Re: Overheating (and other issues) addressed
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:33:17 »
I was wondering how much did this cost you. Also, is it possible to
post pictures of the A/C radiator (condensor) vs. car radiator. I have seen both on a car and was surprising to find that the condensor was blocking the air passage to the radiator and causing temp problems for that car - I would like to see how this was solved in your case.
Thanks

Abbas

280SL W113 1969 Ivory
E280 W124 1995 Silver

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 13:33:42 »
I had several other things sorted out, replaced or repaired at the same time the A/C and overheating issues were addressed so I'm not sure exactly how many hours were spent on those repairs alone.  If you email me directly I can give you a better idea.

As for pictures, I will take some and post here later this week as I am traveling until then.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

LFrank

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 13:18:18 »
Ken --

I just returned to DC from Maine, where I drove by Gernold's (again) wishing I had sent my car to this Mercedes Mecca -- I just can't bear to part with it that long!

Glad you had a good experience with him; I've heard many of same (who do you use here? I've developed a weird vibration at certain rpm's...)

LFrank
Washington DC
65 230 sl - auto
DB334/Hellblau
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 13:18:45 by LFrank »

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 17:07:10 »
I have used both Don Poole and Carlos at JCP Motorsports in Alexandria with god results

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 17:25:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kgear

I have used both Don Poole and Carlos at JCP Motorsports in Alexandria with god results

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red

Wow they are good!  :)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 18:12:35 »
make that "good" results"  .... they still  few miricles to perform before they reach God-like status

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red