Author Topic: Replacement fenders  (Read 3645 times)

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Replacement fenders
« on: August 30, 2006, 21:14:29 »
Still going through my options on replacing rusty body panels. Does anyone know anything about the front fender sold by Pagodenteile? They seem to be running for Euro220 (excl. VAT) each (see http://www.pagodenteile.de/82.htm). How do they compare to other options? (like K&K, which run at $1100 ea) How do they compare with the original? Any info is much appreciated.

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Replacement fenders
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 05:50:52 »
K&K has a good reputation.  I understand that they actually make some parts for Mercedes; ship them to Germany where they are "branded" as Mercedes parts; and then distributed throughout the world.

Metal stampings for old cars are priced curiously because they are not made continuously; there isn't a stamping press in Sparta Michigan (where K&K is) or in Sindelfingen that is continuously pressing out 190SL floor panels or 113 fenders.  They are made in batches, sometimes years apart; once you set up the tooling, best to keep on stamping!

That batch operation, years apart, can result in some wild price appreciation as inventory depletes and gets replaced with new stock.  So, some dealer paid $x.xx each for a fender in 2001, and prices it based on his cost and markup.  When he exhausts his supply in 2006, he comes to find that his cost is now 3 x $x.xx and re-prices accordingly.  This partially explains why you might find some wild price differentials.  Also, and I don't know this, there is some "eastern European" stuff getting on the market.

Talk to Cheryl or Tim at K&K and simply ask them about their fender quality, and if it is something they make or buy.  Do the same to Pagodenteille.  Good vendors are happy to talk about their products.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 06:23:11 »
Waqas,

May be worth checking with pagodenteile.
Their items are refered to as repair panels and may not be as complete as say fenders from MB or K&K - hence the price diff  :?:

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 18:58:19 »
Thanks Naj-- I've sent an email to Pagodenteile for more information. I actually need new sheet metal mostly around the headlights, but I imagine replacing the entire fender might make it a bit easier --avoiding having to "blend-in" much and potentially ruining what is arguably the most elegant front fender on any car.

Has anyone had much experience with lead-filling? This will be my first outing down that lane...

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Tom230sl

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 19:43:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by waqas

Thanks Naj-- I've sent an email to Pagodenteile for more information. I actually need new sheet metal mostly around the headlights, but I imagine replacing the entire fender might make it a bit easier --avoiding having to "blend-in" much and potentially ruining what is arguably the most elegant front fender on any car.

Has anyone had much experience with lead-filling? This will be my first outing down that lane...

WAQAS in Austin, Texas

I replaced fenders and quarterpanels (and...) on my car.   The parts were ordered through MB in '93 and arrived with MB parts stickers,  but as michael accurately pointed out, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I went with lead for seams in attempts to be faithful in the restoration. But again, not sure if that means anything with the the quality of modern materials. I would not get to hung-up on using lead.

Download Attachment: Diss-70.jpg
23.42 KB

Download Attachment: Diss-71.jpg
23.79 KB

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 07:31:38 »
I think all replacement fenders do not have the infamous crease on the inside edge of the headlight(side facing the grille).
THey have to be put in by the person installing the fenders.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas-soon gone

al_lieffring

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 07:41:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by waqas

Thanks Naj-- I've sent an email to  for more information. I actually need new sheet metal mostly around the headlights, but I imagine replacing the entire fender might make it a bit easier --avoiding having to "blend-in" much and potentially ruining what is arguably the most elegant front fender on any car.

WAQAS in Austin, Texas

I sent an enquirey about the sheet metal at Pagodenteile and they sent a reply. The pannels they show are called 3/4 fenders and only extend above the seam line about an inch. This would not include the brow above the headlight buckets.

In the reply from Pagodenteile they said they currently only have the left side available for the front 3/4 fenders.

al

113-042-10-014715
built 11 Jan 66
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition- rust bucket