Author Topic: The famous oil filter top "hosepipe" seal ??  (Read 3011 times)

Ben

The famous oil filter top "hosepipe" seal ??
« on: September 01, 2006, 03:05:00 »
Guys maybe you can help me here regarding that famous seal that sometimes gets lost resulting in total lack of filtration !

I am familiar, obviously, with my own 230SL but currently doing some work on a LHD US spec 280SL and things are very slightly different. I had ordered this seal in advance in case it wasn't there (it wasn't) but it doesn't fit snugly into the housing !

Its the right part number but it looks as though it needs to be cut in half around its circumference, like leaving me with two seals !!

I didn't have to doi this before so I was just wondering if anyone came across this previously ??

One thing I can say is that a 230SL, 4sp manual with no PAS is a lot easier to work on that a 280SL auto with PAS and A/C.............there's just no room up front !!

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Ricardo

Re: The famous oil filter top "hosepipe" seal ??
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 06:11:06 »
Ben
The seal goes at the top of the shaft in the assembly, so that the filter pushes up against it. There is a different one in the bottom of the housing that doesn't need changing very often and is a pain to get out.The top rubber needs to be the size it is to allow slight compression as you tighten the filter housing, forcing the oil through the filter and not around it.....make sure there isn't more than one of the large "o" rings in the removable housing too....

Ben

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 08:34:33 »
Hi ricardo, thanks for your answer, as I said I've done them before on my 230SL and my 280SE Coupe with no problems but this one just seems to need a lot of compression to feel right !

I better take a closer look at it, I wasn't underneath looking up, just up top looking down !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Ricardo

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 13:18:34 »
Ben
Mine was weird when I first got the car and didn't feel right either....it turned out there were two of the large o rings in the canister and the cover just didn't fit the way I thought it should, plus I don't think it was compressing the filter enough to ensure proper flow through it....I was glad when I found out what the problem was , especially as I read after that the canister can crack if there are two o rings...apparently not uncommon.....

Ben

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 07:20:13 »
Having got underneath for a good view I discovered that someone had made up their own DIY seal, obviously having mislaid the correct item. I removed the offending item and fitted the new correct seal !

No problems..........thanks for your help ! :D

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.