Author Topic: sunroof / electronic ignition  (Read 5221 times)

paulr

sunroof / electronic ignition
« on: September 16, 2006, 11:45:44 »
is there a sunroof available for the pagoda hardtop that is 'correct' and if so is there a recommended fitter in the London UK area and does anyone have any experience of electronic ignition for the 280SL?

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: sunroof / electronic ignition
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 11:48:53 »
I have electronic ignition and it's great. Pertronix I think it is

Roger Edwards motors is yer man on fitting it although a wealth of stuff on here on different makes etc. TM Motors in west molesey also know their onions by all accounts.

Suroof - that's what the soft-top is for!!! Seriously, I have seen pics of them but never one in the flesh

Oh, welcome! Get yourself marked up on the Frappr site (see homepage)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 11:51:47 by Tosh »
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Bearcat

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 12:05:04 »
put a sunroof in a hard top and consider the hardtop worthless.

Crane elec ign XR700....brilliant

paulr

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 12:52:43 »
you might like to see the short slide show on this website ;
-http://sltechw113.com/index.htm
I have seen quite a lot of pictures showing this option and it was presumably offered without making the hardtop worthless. What knowledge is your "quote" based upon?

quote:
Originally posted by Bearcat

put a sunroof in a hard top and consider the hardtop worthless.

Crane elec ign XR700....brilliant

paulr
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 13:04:30 by paulr »

DavidBrough

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 14:28:54 »
Hi Paul,

With regard to electronic ignition, I fitted the 123ignition distributor recently and am very pleased with it. It was a direct swap for the original and being a complete distributor also corrected any wear problems with the original concerning advance curve etc. Take a look at there web site at www.123ignition.nl. It is more expensive than systems that bolt onto the existing distributor, at £250 inc vat, but if yours is a bit worn as mine was, it works out far cheaper.

I purchased mine from Southern Carburetters on www.sciperformance.co.uk and it arrived the next day.

David Brough
1969 280SL
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 14:36:09 by DavidBrough »

Klaus

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 14:32:18 »
For the hardtop sunroof there were two suppliers ex-factory, Webasto (with a T-handle) and Golde (with a crank). According to input at Pagodentreff.de, an electrically operated Golde was also available. That site also states that due to the shape of the hardtop, practically all of these sunroofs were leaking when it rained.
For about a year and through various attempts by my professional mechanic I had a Pertronix ignition system installed. The car did not accelerate past 3600 rpm (misfiring) and was nearly undrivable uphill. I discarded it and am back at the original system.

Klaus
1969 280 SL

rhersberger

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 10:59:32 »
Paul R.

The link in your post does not work.

Rod Hersberger

Santa Barbara

'68 280 SL, red, tan, 4sp, two tops
'01 Jag S Type brg
'07 Cayman S Carmona red, sand beige (on order; built 10/16/06)

paulr

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 12:25:11 »
Hi David

thanks for the information, it has given me the momentum I needed to contact the supplier and I have asked them to supply one and fit it for me and do a general tune in/up once it is fitted. I have looked at so many pro's and cons of each on all these web sites and still I am no nearer deciding, so here I go. I will keep you posted if and when they agree to do it. I will keep the old bits of course.

kind regards

paulr

quote:
Originally posted by DavidBrough

Hi Paul,

With regard to electronic ignition, I fitted the 123ignition distributor recently and am very pleased with it. It was a direct swap for the original and being a complete distributor also corrected any wear problems with the original concerning advance curve etc. Take a look at there web site at www.123ignition.nl. It is more expensive than systems that bolt onto the existing distributor, at £250 inc vat, but if yours is a bit worn as mine was, it works out far cheaper.

I purchased mine from Southern Carburetters on www.sciperformance.co.uk and it arrived the next day.

David Brough
1969 280SL

paulr

paulr

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 12:33:05 »
Hi Klaus

thanks for your answer, It was only curiousity really and I certainly wont be fiddling with mine. Something else though, do you know why Mercedes stopped using fitted handles on their soft tops in favour of the removable ones?  These being the ones you unlock it with.

thanks again

paulr

quote:
Originally posted by Klaus

For the hardtop sunroof there were two suppliers ex-factory, Webasto (with a T-handle) and Golde (with a crank). According to input at Pagodentreff.de, an electrically operated Golde was also available. That site also states that due to the shape of the hardtop, practically all of these sunroofs were leaking when it rained.
For about a year and through various attempts by my professional mechanic I had a Pertronix ignition system installed. The car did not accelerate past 3600 rpm (misfiring) and was nearly undrivable uphill. I discarded it and am back at the original system.

Klaus
1969 280 SL

paulr

Klaus

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 15:08:02 »
Paul,
this change was part of several safety-related improvements introduced in July 1967. In the case of a frontal crash, your head should not collide with the handle, but the (thinly upholstered but wider, i.e. less psi) windshield frame.

Klaus
1969 280 SL