Author Topic: Hello everybody  (Read 3749 times)

n/a

Hello everybody
« on: November 18, 2006, 02:43:28 »
I would like to introduce myself, my name is Basil.
I purchased a 1967 250SL in white with olive interior some 6 months ago.
The vehicle has been restored and is now my only love seeing as I am not married.
I will post some shots soon as she really is a beautiful car and I am looking to get her to concours level.
I live in Sydney Australia and have used this site a couple of times once to help me decode my car.
I thought I had a 280 chassis with a 250 engine, This site helped me put my paranoia at ease as I thought I got done!
I just finished fitting my new 250 badge as it had a 280 one fitted, as someone couldn't be bothered waiting for one to come in.
Now i have to take my car for inspection as the registration papers show it as a 280 not a 250!! Go figure?
I have a new speedo cable that i would like to fit and am wondering if anyone could help on how to do so?
Is it something an apprentice like me could do?
Is it a realtively easy procedure?
I would like to say thanks to all who make this web page possible, and hope one day to have the technical know how to contribute like most!
BM.

bpossel

Re: Hello everybody
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 06:35:15 »
Hello Basil,

Please do a search on this site.  There are many good posts on speedo cable replacement.  Based on the help of friends and experts on this site, I replaced mine recently.  Here are some notes that may help you.

Remove the Tach, Center instrument gage and then the Speedo.  Refer to other posts on this site to perform this procedure.  Cautions are mentioned in these posts regarding the capillary tube.  Please pay attention to these posts and warnings.  With the Speedo pulled forward, loosen and remove the speedo cable.

Then loosen and remove the speedo cable on the transmission side.  The transmission end of the speedometer cable is held in by a 5mm allen screw which clamps a synch type arrangement..

The 5mm allen bolt is almost directly above the shift rod going into the tranny on the driver's side.  Remove the bolt completely and wiggle the cable end until it can be removed. Resisit the urge to stick something into the slot to pry the synch apart otherwise the aluminum casting will break.

To remove the speedo cable, you need to slide it through the firewall and into the car’s interior, whereas the end of the cable which attaches to the speedo is too large to fit through the hole on the firewall.  Attach string or wire to the end of the old cable as you pull it through and into the car.  This will help you to pull the new speedo cable back through the firewall again.

After pulling the new cable through the firewall, install the transmission end of the cable first. You may have to turn the cable a bit during installation to allow the cable to "key" into the drive.

CAUTION… Whatever you do, don't overtighten the 5mm bolt that holds the cable end to the transmission rear cover. While the attaching area looks like a clamp fitting, it is very easy to fracture it by overtigthening. What holds the cable in is the bolt riding through the groove on the cable end.

Good Luck!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 07:19:31 by bpossel »

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 17:08:35 »
Hello Basil - - -

Some  words of caution about the speedo cable replacement: As mentioned , the connection at the bottom end is a little tricky.  I am highly skilled mechanically and I struggled with it a lot . There is very little side clearance in the area where the pinch clamp is.   I eventually used a hole saw in my electric drill to open a hole in  the side of the transmission tunnel so I could work it from above. Also,  as mentioned below,  I used too much force when releasing the old cable and broke the casting tab. Even so, there will still be sufficient holding power to retain the new cable housing because the bolt shank will enguage the groove.

Welcome to the Pagoda Brotherhood!   I think you will find that this website is much more useful than any maintenance manual could ever be.    

Regards, Larry in CA
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  (restored) Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TD-T (Concours condition, 86K, GETRAG 5sp.)
1982  300TD-T (parted out)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 Cabriolet

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:58:48 »
Thought this picture may help you see a close-up of the end where the speedo cable attaches to the transmission.  The reason I replaced my cable was because the speedo would periodically bounce while driving.  When I went to remove the speedo cable from the transmission side, I noticed that it was loose.  Turns out it was broken in the area that all have warned about in terms of not over tightening.  So, my simple cable replacement turned out to be sort of a nightmare in that I also had to replace the broken housing along with the cable.
Good Luck!
Bob

Download Attachment: speedo-cable-1.jpg
24.34 KB

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320