Author Topic: Brake Dust on Rims  (Read 4353 times)

harleydan

Brake Dust on Rims
« on: November 16, 2006, 09:41:59 »
a. What have people done to successfully minimize/mitigate brake dusk from getting on the rims or to stop brake dusk from cloning itself to the rims?  

b. Once brake dusk has firmly attached itself to the rims (those unsightly hard to get off spots), how does one take it off without harming the rims?

c.  I get much more brake dusk on my rear rims as compared to the front ones.  What is the cause and is this normal?  I have disc brake all the way around.

Thanks,
Danny
1970 280SL silver Euro manual with some brake dust on the rims

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Brake Dust on Rims
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 10:12:06 »
a.  I don't try any preventative measures.
b.  Standard wheel cleaner from auto part store that says "safe for painted wheels".
c.  I have drums in the back, but I believe your system should have some regulator or compensator valve (can't recall proper name) that permits more pressure to the front.  That may be defective.  One member put an adjustable valve in his Pagoda so play with various pressure settings to the rear brakes.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 11:14:07 »
Danny,
      Although I have not used them myself, EBC makes break pads that are supposed to be either low dust or dust that clears away easily.  I believe they also do W113 break pads.

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com

Kay

Kay
Euro 280sl LHD Auto.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 16:09:00 »
I believe the amount of brake dust on my front and rear wheels (well, hubcaps) is about the same, although on most other cars I've ever owned the front wheels usually get a lot dirtier than the rear. Does your car suffer from the typical 'nosedive' upon hard braking? Do you feel the brakes are not very effective? Then there is probably an issue with the brakes that you should (have) look(ed) at.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

al_lieffring

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 16:44:55 »
Do your wheels have the "pie tins", after marker dust shields on the front and not on the back?

Just a thought.

Al

66 230sl
113-042-10-014715
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition: not-as-rusty-as-before-bucket

harleydan

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 18:13:16 »

Cees...Yes, I suffer from "typical" nosedive during hard breaking.  I hope to minimize it by getting the John Olson springs.  I already got new shocks (Bilsteins) all around.  I would say that my brakes seems fine, but I have not compared it to another W113.  When I do get the new springs (which hopefully should be arriving soon), I will also have ceramic break pads and braided brake lines installed on the four corners.

Al...I do not have any pie tins on the front nor the back.

Thanks,
Danny

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 21:51:20 »
My experience with brake dust on any car with disc brakes is that if you wash the wheels regularly by hand or with a wand wash then the dust is easy to remove and the wheels will always look clean. However, leave it a few weeks and it bakes on.

Some cars are worse than others and it is a function of the wheel design. Any car with turbine type wheels are harder to clean and keep clean.

One other point about regular washing of the wheels, drive the car and use the brakes a few times to evaporate the water. They have a tendency to flash rust which can cause some binding/sticking in the piston area cauisng premature wear of the pads.

George
1965 230SL 4 speed

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 07:46:23 »
I am sure I read somewhere that a spray of WD40 on the clean wheel prevents the dust from baking on as badly next time

Not tried it myself but it may be worth a google...
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

dreyer635

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 14:17:59 »
If brake dust is a problem - check if EBC can deliver "green" pads  - I have not tried that om my Pagoda, but my BMW 635 the rims are very cleen after mounting the EBC pads - even when running hard.