Author Topic: Gastank : original or repro?  (Read 2093 times)

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
Gastank : original or repro?
« on: May 17, 2007, 08:21:23 »
I'm in need of a new gastank for my 280SL because the old one is rusty. Now there are 2 options, original of MB or repro (from SLS eg.). There is a significant difference in price but is there also a difference in quality? Are there any members who did some research about this topic?

Paul Haems
'68 280SL

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Gastank : original or repro?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 17:27:03 »
Paul,
yep you could get one from mb, sls or K&K MFG.
however, you can also send yours out for cleaning and repair.

do a search on this forum and you will find several threads on this topic.

I treated my tank with a kit from eastwood co and then had a shop put in an inspection plug so I could make sure there were no blockages.

I probably spent $200.

after that I painted the tank and it looks great.

matt

Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Gastank : original or repro?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 00:07:36 »
Paul,

Having dealt with SLS quite a lot, I know that MB contract out the manufacture of many 'MB original parts' to SLS, then buy them from SLS, add their mark up and sell them on. One reason why many SLS parts are 'original' MB parts. Also, as has been pointed out here on several occasions, MB term any part to be 'original' even though it may not be the truly original part that was fitted at construction, i.e things/design/methods of construction all change over time.

My point is that you may well find there is no difference between the 2 tanks - other than the price, of course. You could always ask SLS; I am sure they'll tell you. They've saved me a few £ that way already.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL